Is technology isolating us from true human connection?

In summary, society is becoming more isolated due to the reliance on technology. This is bad because it reduces the amount of social interaction between people.
AUK 1138
have you ever pondered on just how isolated every facet of society is from one another, and our subsequent dependence on technology to stay connected and in cooperation with the rest of the world? with a population nearing 7 billion, no one really knows anyone. A very basic observation, I'm aware, but still interesting when you realize this isolation is how it's been since the "creation" (for lack of a better word) of life. it's kind of depressing, really. you can almost extrapolate it to show that in a few hundred years, no one will leave their house. you can sit on your computer and take your daily lessons, talk to peers on social networking sites, learn about relevant news online. it just keeps going. mainly, i just find the fact that the technology we use to bring us closer together is forcing us apart.

discuss.

Computer science news on Phys.org
IIRC people had similar concerns over the telephone. Face to face conversations would become a thing of the past. Didn't happen. Telephones just brought people separated by distance closer together.

This is true, however i would still argue that a good proportion of talking is now down electronically as opposed to face-to-face conversations. perhaps it's not so much that we don't talk physically anymore, but more so the fact that we can form emotional bonds with people without the need to speak to them. on a fundamental level, having your computer in your room and chatting with them makes it almost like they are in the room with you, making you feel safer talking to them (since you "percieve" them as in the same place as you (your room in this case) where you feel safe). so, it's basically that we have allowed ourselves to interact socially under extremely fabricated conditions. i can't see how you could interpret that as a significant change that will alter things on a long enough timeline.

AUK 1138 said:
it's kind of depressing, really. you can almost extrapolate it to show that in a few hundred years, no one will leave their house.

That may not be a valid extrapolation as the oil runs out. A different reading of the future would be...

http://www.transitionnetwork.org/

AUK 1138 said:
have you ever pondered on just how isolated every facet of society is from one another, and our subsequent dependence on technology to stay connected and in cooperation with the rest of the world? with a population nearing 7 billion, no one really knows anyone. A very basic observation, I'm aware, but still interesting when you realize this isolation is how it's been since the "creation" (for lack of a better word) of life. it's kind of depressing, really. you can almost extrapolate it to show that in a few hundred years, no one will leave their house. you can sit on your computer and take your daily lessons, talk to peers on social networking sites, learn about relevant news online. it just keeps going. mainly, i just find the fact that the technology we use to bring us closer together is forcing us apart.

discuss.

Some ppl have extremely busy social lives. Out in the real world, not on internet. There are serious numbers of humans involved in virtual social networking in detriment of real social life, which is very bad IMO, but the humankind at large is far from being in the state you describe.

DanP said:
Some ppl have extremely busy social lives. Out in the real world, not on internet. There are serious numbers of humans involved in virtual social networking in detriment of real social life, which is very bad IMO, but the humankind at large is far from being in the state you describe.

this is probably the nail in my coffin. I failed to realize that many other humans are much more social than I, and therefore are more unwilling to accept a world of complete (physical) isolation. however, i still am somewhat disturbed by the thought of this dystopian future.

AUK 1138 said:
this is probably the nail in my coffin. I failed to realize that many other humans are much more social than I, and therefore are more unwilling to accept a world of complete (physical) isolation. however, i still am somewhat disturbed by the thought of this dystopian future.

Surely, such a society ain't very funny :wink:

Read "The Naked Sun" by Asimov. It describes a dystopia in which technology allowed ppl to completely isolate themselves physically from one another.

DanP said:
Surely, such a society ain't very funny :wink:

Read "The Naked Sun" by Asimov. It describes a dystopia in which technology allowed ppl to completely isolate themselves physically from one another.

wow, i should've known Asimov had done this before. I'll be sure to check it out. thanks for the recommendation!

What is isolation?

Isolation refers to the state of being separated from others or a feeling of being alone. In the context of technology, isolation can refer to the physical separation from others due to the use of technology, or the feeling of being disconnected from society due to excessive reliance on technology.

How does technology contribute to isolation?

Technology can contribute to isolation in several ways. It can physically separate individuals from face-to-face interactions, leading to a lack of real human connection. It can also create a sense of disconnection from society as people spend more time engaging with screens and virtual worlds rather than the real world and relationships.

What are the negative effects of isolation caused by technology?

Isolation caused by technology can have negative effects on individuals, including feelings of loneliness, depression, and anxiety. It can also lead to a decrease in social skills and a lack of empathy towards others. In extreme cases, it can even lead to addiction and a loss of touch with reality.

How can we combat isolation caused by technology?

To combat isolation caused by technology, it's important to find a balance between using technology and engaging in face-to-face interactions. This can include setting limits on screen time, prioritizing real-life relationships, and finding activities that involve both technology and social interaction. It's also important to be mindful of our technology use and make an effort to disconnect and engage with the world around us.

Can technology also help to reduce isolation?

While technology can contribute to isolation, it can also help to reduce it. Virtual communication tools, social media, and online communities can provide a sense of connection and support for those who are physically isolated. Technology can also provide access to resources and opportunities that may not be available otherwise, helping individuals to feel more connected to the world around them.