Is Technology the New Antiques Market?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loans
In summary, this owl lamp is not worth more than $8,900. It is a plain electric lamp and does not appear to be old.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I want to buy this owl lamp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-collectible-one-of-a-kind-lighted-OWL-rare-piec-/120654099625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c178b74a9#ht_2141wt_122

!BvG!iYw!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKk!EvPnWIPp+BMDEluV-qw~~_3.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I want to buy this owl lamp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-collectible-one-of-a-kind-lighted-OWL-rare-piec-/120654099625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c178b74a9#ht_2141wt_122

!BvG!iYw!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKk!EvPnWIPp+BMDEluV-qw~~_3.JPG

Why is it 89k?

ME_student said:
Why is it 89k?
Because when you rub it a genii comes out and grants you three wishes. I'd go a head and lend her the money if I were you. She'll be good for it after her first wish for 89 trillion dollars.

The seller doesn't even know what it's made out of, and doesn't seem to understand the English language very well.

I'd give him $50 for it. $100 tops.

Not that it isn't an awesome owl lamp, but he seems to be under the impression that, because there isn't an exact duplicate of an owl lamp like it, that he's going to be able to sell it for nearly 100k.

I wouldn't take it for free. You'd have to pay me 89K to own it.

KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKKK
KKKKKKKKK

You don't have to give it back.

The seller is pretty active and has a top-rated e-bay seller rating with 2570 ratings and 99.6% positive feedback.

He must be rich!

It must be a typo. Clearly, it's not worth more than $8,900.

Collectibles >
Animals >
Birds >
Ducks

This is a duck?

Vanadium 50 said:
Collectibles >
Animals >
Birds >
Ducks

This is a duck?
Well, if it sits-passively-on-the-end-table like a duck,
and lights-up-bright-and-stable like a duck...
:smile:

If you don't have the funds for the owl, you can still get a http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-DUST-BUNNY-/360300506572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e3956dcc for a reasonable price - just $14.99 plus $3.95 S&H!

Borg said:
If you don't have the funds for the owl, you can still get a http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-DUST-BUNNY-/360300506572?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e3956dcc for a reasonable price - just $14.99 plus $3.95 S&H!

That would go perfect on my shelf next to my dead moth collection!

By the way, I'm willing to part with one of my moths for $236.43. It's very cool! Incredibly, it's shaped almost exactly like a live moth!

Tell them they're dreaming

Is this another of e-bays pricing glitches?

*Wonders what MIH was searching for originally* :bugeye:

I have sold a LOT of antiques on-line and at auction, and I wouldn't give $89 for that crappy-looking lamp. It must be a typo of some kind.

Evo said:

Ugliest lamp?

For the hell of it I searched for "owl oil lamp" (which is hard to say) and came up with this for only $6,500.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRESDEN-TOWN-OF-MEISSEN-ANTIQUE-PORCELAIN-CERAMIC-OWL-OIL-KEROSENE-OLD-LAMP-/220741525684?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item33653860b4#ht_1153wt_1185

edit: This one's a bit steeper at $15,000.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-DRESDEN-GERMAN-PORCELAIN-OWL-PARLOR-VICTORIAN-KEROSENE-OIL-OLD-GWTW-LAMP-/220808194938?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item336931ab7a#ht_750wt_1185

I'm in the wrong business. Who knew the easiest way to riches was to make Owl lamps?

zoobyshoe said:
For the hell of it I searched for "owl oil lamp" (which is hard to say) and came up with this for only $6,500.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRESDEN-TOWN-OF-MEISSEN-ANTIQUE-PORCELAIN-CERAMIC-OWL-OIL-KEROSENE-OLD-LAMP-/220741525684?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item33653860b4#ht_1153wt_1185

edit: This one's a bit steeper at $15,000.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-DRESDEN-GERMAN-PORCELAIN-OWL-PARLOR-VICTORIAN-KEROSENE-OIL-OLD-GWTW-LAMP-/220808194938?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item336931ab7a#ht_750wt_1185
The owl in the OP is just a plain electric lamp, doesn't appear to be old either, based on those lights in it's body. I'd be surprised it if was more than 30 years old. Maybe someone's pottery assignment in class.

Evo said:
Maybe someone's pottery assignment in class.

Wonder what grade they got...

Likes gracy
$89,000?!
I could buy 8,000 box canvas prints of Paul Ross for that :(

Evo said:

Your Christmas present. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
Your Christmas present. :smile:
What a wonderful gag-gift, MIH!

zoobyshoe said:
I wouldn't take it for free. You'd have to pay me 89K to own it.
Free Shipping...hey hey?

I am amazed to see many people ready to pay large amounts of money for their loved things. Whenever I go out for dinners or attend any parties with my friends which I have to pay, I always try to ask myself if I ever treat my parents, my siblings any good meals like this, by what attitude etc.

Evo said:
The owl in the OP is just a plain electric lamp, doesn't appear to be old either, based on those lights in it's body.
I know, and it's doubtful they'll get what they're asking for the antique Dresden ones, either.

Owl always love you! Still the price is a "bit" high.

I think Evo's got it right: get someone to make the lamp in art class and pay them a few hundred bucks or a little more for their time and materials.

This kind of thing unfortunately makes me respect the practices of original snake oil salesman, and unfortunately this is not a positive realization.

edward said:
It may be a one off, but it isn't worth more than it would take to make another one.
Highly unlikely it's one of a kind. It looks molded to me, 50's or 60's style. It's conceivable, but unlikely, that it's the only one of its kind left, though.

There's a little company in a town nearby to San Diego here that makes lawn ornaments. I notice they often advertise for sculptors: all their pieces are original to them, but they make as many copies of any given piece as they think they can sell.

I imagine this owl lamp was made by a small company like that. Depending on how well it sold there could have been from 10 to 300 of them made.

Found the duck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-collectible-one-kind-marble-duck-200-yrs-/400142013767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2a529547

and this is a bargain
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-D-US-10-00-Silver-Certificate-blue-seal-good-/120664564326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c182b2266

256bits said:
Found the duck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-collectible-one-kind-marble-duck-200-yrs-/400142013767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2a529547

and this is a bargain
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-D-US-10-00-Silver-Certificate-blue-seal-good-/120664564326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c182b2266
What's so bad is these sellers can give themselves feedback from YOU. I have tried giving feedback to a few highly rated & "top sellers" and to my surprise, I was told that I had already given feedback, and lo and behold, there it was..positive feedback from me! What's so funny is that the first time it happened, I had written a really glowing feedback that was much better than the fake one they posted from me.

Anyone else encountered feedback being "faked"?

I only had problems with one seller advertising a book in "good condition" and when I got it the cover was badly worn, torn, the pages had been written on and THEY WERE ALL LOOSE, they had all been torn out! They were all there, but come on. My description of the book "book torn apart, all pages separate and not attached to binding, may have been torn apart to photo copy. The cover is very worn, but you can still read it although the edges are all shredded. Looks like someone dug it out of the trash."

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I know, and it's doubtful they'll get what they're asking for the antique Dresden ones, either.

The world of antiques is a funny business. When my mother died, I sold off some of the family stuff that realistically wasn't going to serve any purpose except gather dust. She was living in a small market town with a firm of auctioneers and valuers that ran their own monthly sales, so I just paid them to pack the stuff up, take it away, and sell it.

I was quite surprised that two items went for well over £1000 each (which was a lot more than the rest of the stuiff put together). One was a revoltingly ugly (to my eyes) 4 inch high china ornament of a cat playing a fiddle, which turned out to be made by some "famous" european maker. The other was a plain little bedside table with a cupboard underneath, which looked little better than firewood, but turned out to be a fairly rare and completely original example (never restored, repainted, repolished, etc) of some "collectable" style of Victorian furniture.

They were both bought by professional dealers, so I expect their "real" value was a lot more than I got for them!

AlephZero said:
They were both bought by professional dealers, so I expect their "real" value was a lot more than I got for them!
That is always the case, AZ. Many years ago, the antique dealer that I was working for bought (stole, actually) a small oil painting of Mt Washington from a dealer "friend" of his for less than $200. I researched it, photographed it, and sold it on Ebay for over $6K. Even tiny paintings by Benjamin Champney can bring big bucks.

AlephZero said:
The world of antiques is a funny business. When my mother died, I sold off some of the family stuff that realistically wasn't going to serve any purpose except gather dust. She was living in a small market town with a firm of auctioneers and valuers that ran their own monthly sales, so I just paid them to pack the stuff up, take it away, and sell it.

I was quite surprised that two items went for well over £1000 each (which was a lot more than the rest of the stuiff put together). One was a revoltingly ugly (to my eyes) 4 inch high china ornament of a cat playing a fiddle, which turned out to be made by some "famous" european maker. The other was a plain little bedside table with a cupboard underneath, which looked little better than firewood, but turned out to be a fairly rare and completely original example (never restored, repainted, repolished, etc) of some "collectable" style of Victorian furniture.

It's true that some things are worth more than you'd ever guess by looking at them, but, probably because of that, there's a whole psychological drive to overprice things. Which is clearly what the seller in the OP has succumbed to.

The two prices for the two owl oil lamps were the "buy it now", prices, not the lower limit of what the seller will accept in the auction. One has one bid, the other four. These bids are, obviously, less than the "buy it now" price. The seller has set some minimum he will take, and the winner will be the highest bid over the minimum, unless someone is so desperate they'll pay the "buy it now" price.