Is the arxiv search engine user-friendly?

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the arxiv search engine for finding scientific papers related to cosmology and physics. One participant mentions having difficulty with the search function, while another suggests using Google instead. The overall conclusion is that while the search feature on arxiv may not be the best, it is still a useful tool for finding relevant articles.
birulami
In a completely different thread:
marcus said:
If you don't already know how to use the arxiv search engine, then as a SW engineer interested in cosmology and physics you might like it.

this is how to find Neil Cornish papers, for example

Go to
http://arxiv.org/
(then you get to look at all the new papers in your area of interest) and then go
http://arxiv.org/search

:yuck: Incidently my current job involves customizing and deploying search engines in large companies. Funny you mention the search facility of arxiv which is probably one of the worst I can think of. Pasting the article title into the title search field and getting an empty result is bad. Not getting the search form back for refinement on top of the results is abysmal. Yeah, I forgot to change the years to search, but that's what users do:grumpy::wink:o:)

Which is not to say that arxiv is not a great idea. I guess it is just a problem of finding someone to polish the search. The current trend seems to be to provide less pre search query acrobatic in favor of post search navigators (aka drill-downs) populated by meta data that is actually available in the search results. Makes life a lot easier for the user but needs a search engine that is able to populate the navigators.

Cheers,
Harald.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have more luck using google on it. I wonder if there's a way to ring them up & work with them for a custom engine.

It is useless to improve this search feature for arXiv. If you are searching a specific article, you know its number. If you are browsing it randomely, you enter just a few keywords, in which case it works. It is a wonderful tool and I never heard anybody complain about it.

humanino said:
It is a wonderful tool and I never heard anybody complain about it.

This is true, you did not hear my complaints, you just read them.:wink:

Cheers,
Harald.

birulami said:
This is true, you did not hear my complaints, you just read them.
I mean from people who really use it for professional use. :biggrin:

i just use google and limit the search to documents on arxiv.com. It is odd that the search function on arxiv is so terrible though.

What is the search facility of arxiv?

The search facility of arxiv is a feature on the arxiv.org website that allows users to search for articles, papers, and other scientific literature that has been uploaded to the arxiv database. It uses keyword search and advanced filters to help users find relevant content.

How do I use the search facility on arxiv?

To use the search facility on arxiv, simply go to the arxiv.org website and enter your search terms into the search bar. You can also use the advanced search option to narrow down your results by category, date, author, and more. Once you have entered your search query, click on the search button to view your results.

What types of content can be found using the search facility of arxiv?

The search facility of arxiv can be used to find various types of scientific literature, including articles, papers, preprints, conference proceedings, and more. It covers a wide range of subjects, including physics, mathematics, computer science, and biology.

Is the search facility of arxiv free to use?

Yes, the search facility of arxiv is completely free to use. The website is maintained by Cornell University Library and is funded by various organizations and institutions. Users can search, read, and download content without any cost.

Can I save my search results on arxiv?

Yes, you can save your search results on arxiv by creating an account on the website. Once you have an account, you can save your searches and bookmark articles for future reference. You can also set up email alerts to receive notifications when new content matching your search query is uploaded to arxiv.