Is the Calculation for the Center of Gravity of Two Spheres and a Rod Correct?

In summary, the formula for calculating the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod is (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3) / (m1 + m2 + m3), and it is affected by the positions and masses of the spheres and rod. It is possible for the center of gravity to lie outside of the physical object, and this can affect the stability of the object. The center of gravity can be changed by adjusting the positions and masses, as well as external forces acting on the object.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
A cylindrical rod has a mass of 10 kg and a length of 2 m. At either end of the rod are fitted a sphere each - the one on the left has a mass of 50 kg and a diameter of 0.2 m while that on the right has a mass of 20 kg and a diameter of 0.1 m. Calculate the c.g. of the combination

Answer (in textbook) ##\boxed{\color {red} {x_C = 73 \;\text{cm}}}\; \text{from the center of the larger sphere}##
Relevant Equations
Center of gravity in one dimension : ##x_C = \frac{\Sigma_i m_i x_i}{\Sigma m_i}##
c.g..png
I begin by drawing the problem. Let the center of the bigger sphere on the left by the origin for the system.

Calculating ##x_C = \frac{10 \times 1.1 + 20 \times 2.15}{50+20+10} = \frac{54}{80} = 0.675\; \text{m} \;= \boxed{67.5 \; \text{cm}}\;##.

Problem is, doesn't match the answer in the text (given above).

Is my calculation alright?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes

gleem said:
Yes

Thank you. Fortunately I am in contact with the author of the book, who needs to be written to.

What is the center of gravity (C.G.) of two spheres and a rod?

The center of gravity of two spheres and a rod is a point that represents the average position of the weight of the system. It is the point where the entire weight of the system can be considered to act on.

How is the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod calculated?

The center of gravity of two spheres and a rod can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual centers of gravity of the spheres and the rod. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each component by its distance from a reference point, and then dividing the sum of these products by the total mass of the system.

What factors affect the position of the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod?

The position of the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod is affected by the mass and distribution of the spheres and the rod. The shape and orientation of the components can also play a role in determining the center of gravity.

Why is the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod important?

The center of gravity of two spheres and a rod is important because it helps in understanding the stability and balance of the system. It can also be used to determine how the system will react to external forces and how it will move or rotate.

Can the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod be outside of the physical boundaries of the system?

Yes, the center of gravity of two spheres and a rod can be outside of the physical boundaries of the system. This can happen if the components have unequal masses or are not evenly distributed. In such cases, the center of gravity may lie outside the system, making it unstable and prone to tipping over.