Is the condenser of a E-vehicle cooled by liquid circulation?

In summary, some electrical vehicles do not have front grills, which is surprising since the condenser of the AC unit needs a heat exchanger to function. This suggests that the condenser may be liquid cooled in these vehicles. The Mitsubishi I-Miev has a small front grill hidden below the front license plate. In conventional EVs, the essential parts of the AC system are typically located close to the blower motors in the dash for packaging reasons.
marellasunny
I've noticed that a FEW of the electrical vehicles have no front grill. I am quite surprised that they do not have one, because the condenser of the AC unit needs to have heat taken away from it (in other words, the condenser needs a heat exchanger). So, in view of the fact that E-vehicles don't have front grills, does that implicitly mean the condeser of the AC unit is liquid cooled?

2. Could someone please give me a picture as to where the components of the AC unit are in a conventional EV? Most of the EV's have the front grill (2 kidney-shaped ones ) pretty low down the vehicle i.e exactly next to the fog lights. So, I'm guessing the radiator should be pretty low down.

Here is a presentaion on the AC unit of the Mitsubishi I-Miev.
http://www.sae.org/events/aars/presentations/2010/W2.pdf

Engineering news on Phys.org
marellasunny said:
I've noticed that a FEW of the electrical vehicles have no front grill. I am quite surprised that they do not have one, because the condenser of the AC unit needs to have heat taken away from it (in other words, the condenser needs a heat exchanger). So, in view of the fact that E-vehicles don't have front grills, does that implicitly mean the condeser of the AC unit is liquid cooled?

If that were true, what would cool the liquid coolant?

BTW, the MiEV does have a front grill, it's just that it's small and cleverly hidden below the front license plate along the bottom of the vehicle, and painted black so no one pays any attention to it. See slide 3.

2. Could someone please give me a picture as to where the components of the AC unit are in a conventional EV? Most of the EV's have the front grill (2 kidney-shaped ones ) pretty low down the vehicle i.e exactly next to the fog lights. So, I'm guessing the radiator should be pretty low down.

If you check out slide 7, that appears to show the location of the essential parts of the A/C system. The rest of the car appears in phantom. For packaging reasons, the blower motors for the car HVAC are usually located in the dash, so it makes sense to locate as much of the rest of the system close by, as in a conventional car.

1. How does the liquid circulation in the condenser of an E-vehicle work?

The liquid circulation in the condenser of an E-vehicle works by using a pump to circulate a coolant liquid, typically a mixture of water and antifreeze, through a series of tubes and fins in the condenser. As the liquid passes through the condenser, it absorbs heat from the refrigerant gas, which is then expelled through the vehicle's exhaust system.

2. Why is a liquid coolant used in the condenser of an E-vehicle?

A liquid coolant is used in the condenser of an E-vehicle because it has a higher heat capacity than air, allowing it to absorb more heat from the refrigerant gas. This helps to keep the condenser and other components of the vehicle's cooling system at a more stable temperature, preventing overheating and potential damage.

3. Is the liquid coolant in the condenser of an E-vehicle the same as the coolant used in the engine?

No, the liquid coolant used in the condenser of an E-vehicle is typically a different mixture than the coolant used in the engine. The coolant used in the condenser is specifically designed to work with the refrigerant gas and the unique cooling needs of the E-vehicle's system.

4. How is the liquid coolant in the condenser of an E-vehicle replenished?

The liquid coolant in the condenser of an E-vehicle is replenished through a fill port located on the vehicle's cooling system. This can be accessed by a trained technician during routine maintenance or when the coolant needs to be topped off due to normal wear and tear.

5. Can the liquid coolant in the condenser of an E-vehicle be replaced with a different type of coolant?

No, it is not recommended to replace the designated liquid coolant in the condenser of an E-vehicle with a different type of coolant. Different coolants have different properties and may not work effectively with the refrigerant gas or the vehicle's cooling system, potentially causing damage or decreased performance.