Maximizing Attic Ventilation for Cooling: Tips and Considerations

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with the extreme heat and humidity in their area and looking for cheap solutions to cool their home. They discuss the effectiveness of their current AC unit and the possibility of using a fan to vent hot air from the attic into the garage. Other suggestions are given, such as installing passive vents in the attic and checking for leaks in the ducting. The conversation also touches on the importance of insulation in keeping a house cool.
Ronnin
It is absolutely miserable here. Me nor the kids will dare venture outside until after 7pm due to the heat and humidity. The AC runs almost non stop unless I shut it down for brief periods during the day. Once the outside temperature is sustained at 90+ F on average (from 11am-6pm), in the hottest part of the day the lowest my AC can cool the house is between 80-82 degrees. I have a 2.5 Ton unit cooling about 1600 square feet. Is this just normal in this kind of heat? I'm home all day so that may be the biggest reason I really notice how hot it gets in here now.

I have gone up into my attic to grab stuff during the summer and can just imagine how much of that attic heat is heating the house. I access my attic through the garage. If I were to keep the access open and rig a fan up to vent the attic air into the garage (I would crack the garage door) could this possibly help or would it undo what my ridge vent is suppose to be doing? I am very poor right now so running out and dumping a bunch of money on Low E windows and the like is out of the question. Any cheap suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your best bet might be to install large passive vents high in the gable ends of your attic, and let natural breezes/convection evacuate the hot air. No fans to buy, no additional electrical load... Ridge vents are not awfully effective because they tend to have narrow openings and they need to be balance by additional venting at lower levels. Depending on how your house is constructed, you might be able to get some additional passive cooling by installing soffit vents. If you have a friend who is handy with carpentry, you might be able to get help without breaking the bank.

Edit: BTW, when energy prices start getting high, lots of people add more fiberglass batting to their attics. Unfortunately, if they don't know what they're doing, they can restrict any previously-installed soffit vents to the point that air in the attic is even more stagnant than before.

Last edited:
In an emergency, you can section the house and buy a few fans. I keep the Southern side of my house much warmer than the northern side. I just close down the vents on one and open them wide on the other.
Fans are great, but I wouldn't buy the oscillating ones. My ex wife was in corporate for a major insurance agency and a good many fires were attributed to the wires fatiguing in the arm of these fans.
As measures become more desperate, I've seen folks use a sheet to block of a hot section of house. Then, when I was a kid, it was very desperate, because few people had AC. A moist hand towel draped behind the neck was good help.

I wouldn't stomp around up in the attic until the season's cooled. Then, make some upgrades. A good one is to find leaks in the ducting and seal them with tape. Also, you may want to un-kink ducting and re-size it according to you needs - most people have rooms that get very little flow due to poor duct work.
The passive vents at the gables sound like a great idea - if you have gables. Just remember to include screen to keep the mice, rats, and squirrels out.
els

Why not install a couple of roof exhaust vents like pop vents?

Ronnin said:
It is absolutely miserable here. Me nor the kids will dare venture outside until after 7pm due to the heat and humidity. The AC runs almost non stop unless I shut it down for brief periods during the day. Once the outside temperature is sustained at 90+ F on average (from 11am-6pm), in the hottest part of the day the lowest my AC can cool the house is between 80-82 degrees. I have a 2.5 Ton unit cooling about 1600 square feet. Is this just normal in this kind of heat? I'm home all day so that may be the biggest reason I really notice how hot it gets in here now.

I have gone up into my attic to grab stuff during the summer and can just imagine how much of that attic heat is heating the house. I access my attic through the garage. If I were to keep the access open and rig a fan up to vent the attic air into the garage (I would crack the garage door) could this possibly help or would it undo what my ridge vent is suppose to be doing? I am very poor right now so running out and dumping a bunch of money on Low E windows and the like is out of the question. Any cheap suggestions?

This may sound very peculiar. But I'm from the northwest, so that goes without saying.
On 100+ degree days here, with no air conditioning at all, my house rarely gets above 80'F.

Do you have any insulation in your walls or attic?

Never mind. Let me try and figure it out.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioner#Equipment_capacity", a "ton" = 12,000 BTU/hr

So you are running through 30,000 BTU/hr.

Assuming a single level house: 1600 ft^2 --> 40 ft * 4 *10 (perimeter area) + 1600 * 2 = 4800 ft^2 (surface area).

wiki said:
R-values are given in units of ft²·°F·h/Btu.

R=4800*15/30000 = 2.4

You have no insulation in your house.

As a pauper like yourself, I bought a dirt cheap house about 20 years ago, and progressing room by room, each year, tore down the interior sheet rock and installed R-13 insulation. Then I added R-23 insulation to the attic, and finally added R-13 insulation to the interior of my foundation.

But that's a lot of work.

With no insulation in your attic, I'd say stuff a fan in some orifice to suck out all that hot air. It's like a big radiator up there right now.

While you are thinking about next summer, just remember that if you upgrade your R-2.4 house to an R-13 house, you will be sitting in a living room, at the same energy consumption, at:

oh crap, math:

R = ft²·°F·h/Btu
delta °F=R/(ft²*h/Btu)=13/(4800*(1/30000)) --> 95'F -82'F = 13'F

something equivalent to a freezer.

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed "turbine" style vents on my roof a few years ago. HUGE difference! There are several varieties of attic venting. The best choice depends on the size of your house, the roof design, etc.

pantaz said:
I installed "turbine" style vents on my roof a few years ago. HUGE difference! There are several varieties of attic venting. The best choice depends on the size of your house, the roof design, etc.

Are they noisy? I sleep in my (finished) attic.

Related to Maximizing Attic Ventilation for Cooling: Tips and Considerations

1. What is attic venting and why is it important for cooling a house?

Attic venting is the process of allowing air to flow in and out of the attic space. It is important for cooling a house because it helps to remove hot air that can get trapped in the attic, which can then transfer into the living space and make the house feel hotter.

2. How does attic venting work to cool a house?

Attic venting works by creating a continuous flow of air in and out of the attic space. This allows hot air to escape through the vents, while cool air is drawn in from the outside. This helps to regulate the temperature in the attic and prevents it from getting too hot, which can in turn help to keep the rest of the house cooler.

3. What types of attic venting systems are available?

There are several types of attic venting systems, including ridge vents, soffit vents, gable vents, and turbine vents. Ridge vents are installed along the peak of the roof, soffit vents are located under the eaves of the roof, gable vents are placed on the gable ends of the roof, and turbine vents are installed on the roof and use wind power to draw hot air out of the attic.

4. How do I know if my attic needs more ventilation?

There are a few signs that may indicate that your attic needs more ventilation. These include high levels of humidity, musty odors, or visible signs of mold or mildew. You may also notice that your upper floors feel hotter or more uncomfortable than the lower levels of your house. If you have any of these issues, it may be a good idea to consult a professional to determine if your attic could benefit from more ventilation.

5. Can I install attic venting myself or should I hire a professional?

It is possible to install attic venting yourself, but it is recommended to hire a professional if you are not experienced with roofing and ventilation systems. Improper installation can lead to issues such as leaks or inadequate ventilation, which can cause more problems in the long run. A professional can assess your attic and recommend the best type of venting system for your specific needs, as well as ensure it is installed correctly.