Is the Contracted Metric Equal to the Dimension of the Manifold?

• Thread starter Decimal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the task is to show that when substituting the given equations into the expression for the metric, we arrive at a scalar 1 due to the inverse relationship between the covariant and contravariant metric. This is achieved by utilizing Einstein notation and the implied summation rule. This result is then equated to the dimension of the manifold and the task is complete.
Decimal

Homework Statement

[/B]
For any metric ##g_{ab}## show that ##g_{ab} g^{ab} = N## where ##N## is the dimension of the manifold.

Homework Equations

$$ g_{ab} = \mathbf {e_a} \cdot \mathbf {e_b} $$
$$ g^{ab} = \mathbf {e^a} \cdot \mathbf {e^b} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

When I substitute the above equations I get the following: $$ g_{ab} g^{ab} = (\mathbf {e_a} \cdot \mathbf {e_b}) \cdot (\mathbf {e^a} \cdot \mathbf {e^b})$$ $$ g_{ab} g^{ab} =(\mathbf {e_a} \cdot \mathbf {e^a}) \cdot (\mathbf {e_b} \cdot \mathbf {e^b}) = 1 $$

So I arrive at a scalar 1 when contracting the tensor, which I think is to be expected, since the covariant and contravariant metric are each others inverses. However I don't see how this is then supposed to equal the dimension of the manifold. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow, I completely forgot that that applies at the end as well. Thanks a lot!

Related to Is the Contracted Metric Equal to the Dimension of the Manifold?

1. What is "The Fully Contracted Metric"?

The Fully Contracted Metric is a mathematical tool used to measure the performance and efficiency of a project or process. It takes into account various factors such as time, resources, and outcomes to provide a comprehensive evaluation.

2. How is "The Fully Contracted Metric" calculated?

The Fully Contracted Metric is calculated by dividing the actual outcomes of a project by the expected outcomes, and then multiplying it by 100. This gives a percentage that represents the project's efficiency and success.

3. What are the benefits of using "The Fully Contracted Metric"?

Using The Fully Contracted Metric allows for a more accurate and objective evaluation of a project's performance. It also helps identify areas for improvement and can aid in decision-making for future projects.

4. Can "The Fully Contracted Metric" be applied to any project or process?

Yes, The Fully Contracted Metric can be applied to any project or process, regardless of its size or complexity. It is a versatile tool that can be tailored to fit the specific needs and requirements of a project.

5. How can "The Fully Contracted Metric" be used to improve project management?

The Fully Contracted Metric can be used to track and monitor the progress of a project, allowing for timely adjustments and interventions to ensure its success. It also provides valuable insights into the effectiveness of different project management strategies and can aid in making data-driven decisions for future projects.