Is the current related to a path or to potential difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the flow of charge, or current, and a closed path or potential difference. It is determined that at DC, both are true and current is related to a closed path, while there are also potential differences without closed paths.
lukka98
TL;DR Summary
Is the current related to a path or to potential difference?
The question is very simple: Is the flow of charge, or current, related to a closed path or there will be a potential difference without closed path to allowing the flow?
I mean, If I have a battery that maintain 5V of potential difference through its terminal, I believe there is an amount of negative charge on the negative terminal and positive in the positive, and when I connect to a wire electron whithin conductor are simply shoved toward the positive terminal, and so on the chemical reaction recharged negative terminal and again.

But If I touch the positive poles of a battery, whit the negative not connected to nothing, and with feet on the ground without insulation, the current flow from Earth to the positive poles until they are at the same potential? Because there is a potential difference I think, for example in the fault protection, If the ground wire is required, there is a flow current from the positive to ground ( vacation flow) only until they are at the same potential? And then so then I am at the same potential of the thing I touch and there is no problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
lukka98 said:
But If I touch the positive poles of a battery, whit the negative not connected to nothing, and with feet on the ground without insulation, the current flow from Earth to the positive poles until they are at the same potential? Because there is a potential difference I think
There is not. The potential difference is between the poles of the battery, not between Earth and positive pole. Touching that (or even: connecting a fat conducting wire to earth) does not cause a steady current.

##\ ##

Likes lukka98 and vanhees71
lukka98 said:
Summary:: Is the current related to a path or to potential difference?

Is the flow of charge, or current, related to a closed path or there will be a potential difference without closed path to allowing the flow?
Are you considering only DC and low frequency or are you considering very high frequency circuits too.

Dale said:
Are you considering only DC and low frequency or are you considering very high frequency circuits too.
Only DC current, like battery.

lukka98 said:
Summary:: Is the current related to a path or to potential difference?

Is the flow of charge, or current, related to a closed path or there will be a potential difference without closed path to allowing the flow?
At DC this is not an either-or situation. Both are true. Current is related to a closed path. There are potential differences without closed paths.

Likes lukka98

1. What is the difference between current and potential difference?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor, while potential difference (also known as voltage) refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit.

2. How are current and potential difference related?

Current is directly proportional to potential difference, meaning that an increase in potential difference will result in an increase in current flow.

3. Is current related to a specific path in a circuit?

Yes, current is related to a specific path in a circuit. It flows from the positive terminal of a power source, through the circuit components, and back to the negative terminal of the power source.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of current?

Potential difference is what drives the flow of current. A higher potential difference will result in a greater flow of current, while a lower potential difference will result in a smaller flow of current.

5. Can current flow without a potential difference?

No, current cannot flow without a potential difference. In order for electric charge to flow, there must be a difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit.