Is the Doppler Effect Formula Different for Sources in Different Regions?

In summary, the Doppler effect can be described in terms of the frequency and wave number, with the latter being a four-vector in the rest frame of the light source. The frequency for an observer moving with four-velocity is given by the product of the wave number and the four-velocity. In the extreme cases where the observer's velocity is parallel or antiparallel to the wave vector, the frequency is given by ##k'=\gamma k (1-\beta)## or ##k'=\gamma k(1+\beta)## respectively, resulting in a red-shift or blue-shift in the observed frequency.
etotheipi
If the source is at ##(t,0)## in ##S## and the receiver is at ##(t',0)## in ##S'## which moves at ##\beta_x## w.r.t. ##S##, then by considering two crests at ##(0,0)## and ##(T_s, 0)## in the source frame ##S## and transforming these events into ##S'## we can derive that ##\lambda_{r} = \lambda_{s} \sqrt{\frac{1+\beta_x}{1-\beta_x}}##.

That's the formula that I see everywhere, and it seems okay if the origin of ##S'## is in the region ##x>0##, but if the origin of ##S'## is in the region ##x<0## then wouldn't we have ##\lambda_{r} = \lambda_{s} \sqrt{\frac{1-\beta_x}{1+\beta_x}}##, because of the left-right symmetry?

I've never seen this mentioned anywhere, so I wondered if someone could clarify? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Changing the origin desn't change the sign in front of ##\beta_x##, but when you choose to place the location of of the source and receiver at the respective origins of the two frames, you are also choosing whether the source and receiver are moving towards or away from one another at time ##t=0##.h

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
If the source is at ##(0,0)## in ##S## and the receiver is at ##(0,0)## in ##S'##

Neither of these make sense: ##(0, 0)## is a point in spacetime, not a worldline. I think what you mean here is that the source is at ##x = 0## in ##S## and the receiver is at ##x' = 0## in ##S'##.

Likes etotheipi
Nugatory said:
Changing the origin desn't change the sign in front of ##\beta_x##, but when you choose to place the location of of the source and receiver at the respective origins of the two frames, you are also choosing whether the source and receiver are moving towards or away from one another at time ##t=0##.h

But if ##\beta_x < 0## and the origin of ##S'## has an ##x##-coordinate less than zero, then the source and receiver are separating and the equation should be ##\lambda_{r} = \lambda_{s} \sqrt{\frac{1-\beta_x}{1+\beta_x}}##, right?

PeterDonis said:
Neither of these make sense: ##(0, 0)## is a point in spacetime, not a worldline. I think what you mean here is that the source is at ##x = 0## in ##S## and the receiver is at ##x' = 0## in ##S'##.

You're right, yes, sorry :wink:

In this case, ##\beta## is the radial speed of the source with respect to the receiver. The sign convention affects whether you consider speed to be positive when the two are approaching or receding from each other.

I have to say it's one of the places I don't bother remembering a convention from one problem to the next. I either use what I'm given or just write one formula or other and then deduce which convention I'm using post hoc.

Likes Dale and etotheipi
Ibix said:
I have to say it's one of the places I don't bother remembering a convention from one problem to the next. I either use what I'm given or just write one formula or other and then deduce which convention I'm using post hoc.

My usual strategy in these cases is to, in the words of John Baez, "attempt to make an even number of sign errors". :wink:

Likes Ibix and etotheipi
Ibix said:
In this case, ##\beta## is the radial speed of the source with respect to the receiver. The sign convention affects whether you consider speed to be positive when the two are approaching or receding from each other.

Fair enough, it's just I thought that ##\beta_x## is the signed ##x## component of ##\vec{\beta}##. But in that case maybe it has a slightly different meaning here. Thanks :smile:

PeterDonis said:
My usual strategy in these cases is to, in the words of John Baez, "attempt to make an even number of sign errors". :wink:
As an undergraduate we nicknamed these "Steve Gull errors". He'd taken on the EM course he taught at short notice and his notes were rather hurriedly written and incompletely proof read - but he knew perfectly well where the derivations should lead and the errors tended to mysteriously correct themselves a line or two before the final result...

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
Fair enough, it's just I thought that ##\beta_x## is the signed ##x## component of ##\vec{\beta}##. But in that case maybe it has a slightly different meaning here. Thanks :smile:
Doppler has radial and tangential effects, not ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## effects, so it mostly makes sense to think about polar coordinates centered on the receiver for Doppler. My guess is that whatever you are reading is considering a specific scenario where the emitter happens to be crossing the ##x## axis with velocity towards or away from the receiver - probably so they can easily apply the Lorentz transforms in their standard form.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
Doppler has radial and tangential effects, not ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## effects, so it mostly makes sense to think about polar coordinates centered on the receiver for Doppler.

Yeah, a little bit of extra reading tells me that apparently the constant of proportionality in the general case is ##\gamma (1+\beta_r) = \frac{1+\vec{\beta}\cdot \hat{r}}{\sqrt{1-\vec{\beta}^2}}## if the polar coordinate system is established with an origin at the receiver. But this equation won't be the same if we switched to the source coordinate system, because that pesky aberration means ##\cos{\theta_r} \neq \cos{\theta_s}##.

I think that's probably as far as I'll take this today, I'm too tired to look at the circular motion case right now... thanks for the help ☺

It's more clear if you formulate the Doppler effect in terms of the frequency and wave number, making use of the fact that
$$(k^{\mu})=\begin{pmatrix} k \\ \vec{k} \end{pmatrix}$$
is a four-vector with ##k=|\vec{k}|=\omega/k##.

Say, these are the components in the rest frame of the light source. For an observer moving with four-velocity
$$u^{\mu}=\gamma (1,\vec{\beta}), \quad \gamma=\sqrt{1-\vec{\beta}^2}$$
the frequency is given by
[EDIT: Corrected in view of #12]
$$k'=\omega'/c =k_{\mu} u^{\mu} =\gamma (k-\vec{v} \cdot \vec{k}/c).$$
Now take the extreme cases

(a) ##\vec{v}=c \vec{\beta}## is in the direction of ##\vec{k}##. Then you have
$$k'=\gamma k (1-\beta) = k \sqrt{\frac{1-\beta}{1+\beta}},$$
i.e., you get a red-shift, because you are moving away from the light source.

(b) If ##\vec{\beta}## points in the opposite direction you have
$$k'=\gamma k(1+\beta) = k \sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}},$$
i.e., you have a blue shift, because you move towards the light source.

(c) A really relativistic effect is that there's a "transverse Doppler shift", i.e., also for ##\vec{\beta} \perp \vec{k}##,
$$k'=\gamma k =\frac{k}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}},$$
i.e., you always get a red shift, which is due to time dilation between the rest frame of the light source and the observer's frame.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes hutchphd and etotheipi
Thank you @vanhees71, I haven't seen that approach before. I just had one question; I thought the phase velocity was given by ##\frac{\omega}{k}##, and wouldn't that mean that the four vector is$$(k^{\mu})=\begin{pmatrix} k \\ \vec{k} \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} \frac{\omega}{c} \\ \vec{k} \end{pmatrix}$$with ##k=|\vec{k}|=\frac{\omega}{c}##? Sorry if I am missing something :wink:

Of course, you are right. I always get the ##c##'s wrong, when typing to quickly :-((. I'll correct the original post.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the Doppler Effect formula?

The Doppler Effect formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the change in frequency of a wave as it is emitted or received by a moving object. It takes into account the relative velocity between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How does the Doppler Effect formula apply to sources in different regions?

The Doppler Effect formula remains the same for sources in different regions. The only difference is that the relative velocity between the source and the observer may change depending on the distance between them.

3. Does the Doppler Effect formula change if the source is moving towards or away from the observer?

Yes, the Doppler Effect formula takes into account the direction of the source's motion. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave will appear higher than its actual value. If the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will appear lower.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the Doppler Effect formula?

Yes, the Doppler Effect formula can also be affected by the speed of the source and the medium through which the wave is traveling. Additionally, the formula may need to be adjusted for relativistic effects if the source is moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

5. Can the Doppler Effect formula be used for all types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect formula can be used for all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves. However, the formula may need to be modified for different types of waves, such as adjusting for the wavelength of light waves.