Is the Equation F=2+4v Dimensionally Correct for Calculating Force?

• Thread starter daf10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Newton's equation and an object's motion. The force acting on the object is given by F=2+4v, and the task is to find the object's velocity and position over time. The speaker questions the validity of the force equation and asks about the other person's background in calculus.
daf10
Homework Statement
An object of mass m initially at x=2 and traveling with an initial velocity of 1m/s is acted upon by the force F=2+4v. Assuming the mass only moves along the x direction, find v(t) and x(t)
Relevant Equations
N/A
My teacher never actually taught us how to do this problem, so I have zero idea what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing down Newton's equation for this problem.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
daf10 said:
Homework Statement: An object of mass m initially at x=2 and traveling with an initial velocity of 1m/s is acted upon by the force F=2+4v. Assuming the mass only moves along the x direction, find v(t) and x(t)
Is that equation for the force F=2+4v(t) ? If so, what is your background in differential equations? What calculus have you had so far?

daf10 said:
F=2+4v.

That looks dimensionally odd to me. How can a force equal a number plus a velocity?

Related to Is the Equation F=2+4v Dimensionally Correct for Calculating Force?

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate or change its motion.

How do I calculate the force on an object?

The force on an object can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a type of force that is caused by gravity acting on an object. Force, on the other hand, can be caused by various factors such as gravity, friction, or applied by an external source.

What are the units of force?

The SI unit of force is Newton (N). Other commonly used units include pounds (lb) and kilogram-force (kgf).

How can I apply a force to an object?

A force can be applied to an object by physically pushing or pulling it, or by using a machine such as a lever, pulley, or hydraulic system.