Is the Force on Box A Correctly Calculated?

In summary, the conversation is about a Newton's Third Law problem involving three boxes on a frictionless surface. The question is to calculate the force that box B exerts on box A when an applied force causes all the boxes to accelerate at 1.5m/s^2. Two different methods of solving the problem are discussed, one involving isolating box B and the other involving finding the net force of box B and C. The person is seeking confirmation on their method of solving the problem.
Precursor
[SOLVED] Newton's Third Law problem

Homework Statement

Three boxes, A, B, and C, are positioned next to each other on a horizontal, frictionless surface. An applied force acting on box A causes all the boxes to accelerate at [tex]1.5m/s^{2}[/tex]
. Calculate the force that box B exerts on box A.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8836/thirdlaw2cf8.png​
[/URL]

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{A on B}[/tex]= [tex]-F_{B on A}[/tex]
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

What seems to be the issue is how my teacher solved this problem. I have only realized this problem, so I can't have asked her personally. What she did is isolate box B and find the [tex]F_{net}[/tex] acting on it. This is the calculation she did:

[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= [tex]F_{A on B}[/tex]-[tex]F_{C on B}[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= [tex]m_{B}a[/tex] -(-7.5 N)
[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= (10 Kg)([tex]1.5m/s^{2}[/tex]) + 7.5 N
[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= 23 N

However, what confused me is the two negative signs she put infront of the 7.5 N. I think only one would suffice to take into consideration that [tex]F_{C on B}[/tex] is a negative value, being that its direction is left.

I solved this problem taking a different approach. I found [tex]F_{net}[/tex] of box B and C, and added them together. Here are my calculations:

[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= [tex]m_{B}a[/tex] + [tex]m_{C}a[/tex]
[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= (10 Kg)([tex]1.5m/s^{2}[/tex]) + (5.0 Kg)([tex]1.5m/s^{2}[/tex])
[tex]F_{net}[/tex]= 23 N

Could someone please confirm whether my method of solving the problem is correct or not?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Is their something wrong or confusing with my post that nobody has replied yet?

...anyone please?

Related to Is the Force on Box A Correctly Calculated?

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

2. How does Newton's Third Law apply to real-life situations?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in many real-life situations, such as when a person walks, the person's foot exerts a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on the foot, propelling the person forward. Another example is when a rocket launches, the force of the exhaust pushing down on the ground causes an equal and opposite force that propels the rocket upwards.

3. Can Newton's Third Law be applied to non-contact forces?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be applied to non-contact forces, such as gravitational forces. For example, the Earth exerts a force of gravity on an object, and the object exerts an equal and opposite gravitational force back on the Earth.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law?

There are some rare exceptions to Newton's Third Law, such as in the case of friction. Friction is a force that opposes motion, and while it is considered an equal and opposite reaction, it is not always in the exact opposite direction of the initial force.

5. How does Newton's Third Law relate to the conservation of momentum?

Newton's Third Law is closely related to the conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum in a closed system remains constant. This means that the momentum of one object after a collision will be equal and opposite to the momentum of the other object, as a result of the equal and opposite forces acting on each other.