Is the Function f(x) = -sin(-x) Invertible on the Interval -π to π?

In summary: No, I've just been using the fact that a function must be monotonic in order for it to be invertible.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

Determine if the following function is invertible.
If it is, find the inverse function.

f (x) = -sin(-x)
-∏ < x < ∏

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = -sin(-x)
y = -sin(-x)
-(sin y)^-1 = -x
(sin y)^-1 = x

when x = -∏, y = 0
when x = ∏, y = 0

f^-1(x) = (sin x)^-1
0 = x = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, now I'm wondering, is the answer simply that the function is not monotonic and therefore it is not invertible?

ZedCar said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the following function is invertible.
If it is, find the inverse function.

f (x) = -sin(-x)
-∏ < x < ∏

The Attempt at a Solution

f(x) = -sin(-x)
y = -sin(-x)
-(sin y)^-1 = -x
(sin y)^-1 = x

when x = -∏, y = 0
when x = ∏, y = 0
The interval doesn't include [itex]\pi[/itex] or [itex]-\pi[/itex]
ZedCar said:
f^-1(x) = (sin x)^-1
0 = x = 0

Have you sketched a graph of this function? If you know the graph of y = f(x), you can get the graph of y = -f(-x) by doing a couple of reflections. Having a graph should give you a good idea of whether your function has an inverse.

What rule or theorem are you using to determine whether a function has an inverse?

Mark44 said:
The interval doesn't include [itex]\pi[/itex] or [itex]-\pi[/itex]
Yes, I wasn't sure what to do about that. On other questions I've tried it usually states, for example, -∏ <= x <= ∏, but in this example it didn't have an equals in the interval.

Mark44 said:
Have you sketched a graph of this function? If you know the graph of y = f(x), you can get the graph of y = -f(-x) by doing a couple of reflections. Having a graph should give you a good idea of whether your function has an inverse.

I've just input it into http://rechneronline.de/function-graphs/ and it appears that it is not monotonic, and therefore not invertible.

Mark44 said:
What rule or theorem are you using to determine whether a function has an inverse?
I wasn't really using any specific rule for determining if the function is monotonic, as so far the functions I've been trying aren't too difficult eg (X^2 - 5) or (3x + 3).

Below is the method I've been using to determine the inverse functions.

For example,

f(x) = x^2 - 5 0 <= x < ∞
y = x^2 - 5
(y + 5)^0.5 = x
when x = 0, y = -5

therefore f^-1(x) = (x + 5)^0.5
when x = 0, y = -5Is there a specific rule for determining if a function is monotonic?

Related to Is the Function f(x) = -sin(-x) Invertible on the Interval -π to π?

1. What is the inverse function of sine?

The inverse function of sine is known as arcsine or inverse sine. It is denoted as sin-1 or asin, and is the inverse of the sine function. It maps the range of -1 to 1 of the sine function to the domain of -π/2 to π/2.

2. How is the inverse function of sine related to the sine function?

The inverse function of sine is the opposite of the sine function. It is used to find the angle when the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse is known. For example, if sinθ = 0.5, then θ = sin-1(0.5) = 30°.

3. What is the domain and range of the inverse function of sine?

The domain of the inverse function of sine is the range of the sine function, which is -1 to 1. The range of the inverse function of sine is the domain of the sine function, which is -π/2 to π/2.

4. What are the properties of the inverse function of sine?

The inverse function of sine has three main properties: it is a one-to-one function, its domain and range are limited, and it is an odd function. Additionally, it is the inverse of the sine function, so its values are the mirror image of the sine function's values.

5. How is the inverse function of sine used in real-life applications?

The inverse function of sine is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to calculate angles in trigonometric problems, to determine the angle of elevation or depression in surveying and construction, and to analyze sound waves and oscillatory motion. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic movements.