Is the General Binomial Coefficient for Any Rational Value Always Defined as 1?

In summary, the General Binomial Coefficient can be defined as:\left( \begin{array}{c}n\\r\end{array}\right)= \frac{1}{r!}\prod_{i=0}^{r-1} (n-i)However, when r = 0, the expression becomes 1/0!, which is undefined. To evaluate this, the empty product is used, which is defined to be 1. Therefore, the General Binomial Coefficient is also 1 when r = 0.
Galadirith
Hi everyone, I have been having a problem with the General Binomial Coefficient for any rational value:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
r\end{array}
\right)
= \frac{1}{r!}\prod_{i=0}^{r-1} (r-i)
[/tex]

Now this works fine except when r=0. so 0! is defined to be 1 so the coefficient of the product of the series is 1, but then the cap PI would read:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
0\end{array}
\right)
= \frac{1}{0!}\prod_{i=0}^{-1} (r-i)
[/tex]

how can that possibly be evaluated, is there a mathematical reason or is it more defined to be 1. I know that this somehow mean the empty product which is defined to be 1, but how is this the empty product. Thanks Guys :-)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Galadirith said:
Hi everyone, I have been having a problem with the General Binomial Coefficient for any rational value:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
r\end{array}
\right)
= \frac{1}{r!}\prod_{i=0}^{r-1} (r-i)
[/tex]
What is "n" supposed to mean here?

Now this works fine except when r=0. so 0! is defined to be 1 so the coefficient of the product of the series is 1, but then the cap PI would read:

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
0\end{array}
\right)
= \frac{1}{0!}\prod_{i=0}^{-1} (r-i)
[/tex]

how can that possibly be evaluated, is there a mathematical reason or is it more defined to be 1. I know that this somehow mean the empty product which is defined to be 1, but how is this the empty product. Thanks Guys :-)

Sorry HallsofIvy, i mucked up my latex there a little, equation one should be :

[tex]

\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
r\end{array}
\right)
= \frac{1}{r!}\prod_{i=0}^{r-1} (n-i)

[/tex]

and equation 2 should be :

[tex]

\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
0\end{array}
\right)
= \frac{1}{0!}\prod_{i=0}^{-1} (n-i)

[/tex]

sorry about that, i typed r instead of n at the very end. my variables n are r are :

n, the order of the coefficient n ∈ [tex] \mathbb{Q} [/tex] and r ∈ [tex] \mathbb{N}_0 [/tex]. (in fairness I think this can be expanded so that n is an element of the complex numbers, but I am not worring about that now)

A simple way out of this dilemna is to write the comb. expression as n!/[r!(n-r)!]. When r=0, you will simply have 1/0! = 1.

thank you mathman, however in this situation that actually doesn't work, using the expression you suggested only works with integer values of n that are greater than 0 or n ∈ [tex] \mathbb{Z}^+ [/tex], I have tried to find a way to adapt the expression you suggested but there is no way, (well there is a way but you end up with the equations from my first post :-)), that I have found at least and I don't think there is one. I could obviously use your expression which is the standard binomial coefficient definition with my original one which is the generalized binomial coefficient and define the coefficient piecewise, but that seem quite un-elegant, and that's not my question, there must be an explanation of how to evaluate my second equation, but Thank you for you suggestion though mathman.

EDIT: Well infact I do know that they are just rearrangements of one another, but still there must be a direct way to evaluate my second equation as apposed to rearrange it, it just seems unusual that the equation is fine to use for every value of r except r=0.

I don't see the problem with the second equation; I think it can simply be evaluated directly. It's a constant: 1/0! times an empty product = 1. prod(i=0, x, ...) = 1 for all x < 0.

Related to Is the General Binomial Coefficient for Any Rational Value Always Defined as 1?

1. What is the general binomial coefficient?

The general binomial coefficient is a mathematical formula used to calculate the number of possible combinations of k objects from a set of n objects. It is denoted by the symbol n choose k, and is represented by the expression n! / (k!(n-k)!).

2. How is the general binomial coefficient used in real life?

The general binomial coefficient is used in various fields such as statistics, computer science, and physics to calculate the probability of events and to solve counting problems. It is also used in the binomial theorem to expand binomial expressions.

3. What is the relationship between the general binomial coefficient and Pascal's triangle?

The general binomial coefficient can be found in Pascal's triangle by looking at the number in the nth row and kth column. It is also the sum of the two numbers above it in the previous row. This relationship is known as Pascal's identity.

4. Can the general binomial coefficient be negative or a decimal number?

No, the general binomial coefficient can only be a positive integer. This is because it represents the number of possible combinations, which cannot be negative or a decimal number.

5. How does the general binomial coefficient relate to the binomial distribution?

The general binomial coefficient is used in the binomial distribution to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of independent experiments. It is used in the formula P(x) = (n choose x) * px * (1-p)n-x, where n is the number of trials, x is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success in each trial.