Plot gradient vector in ContourPlot

Lambda96
TL;DR Summary
Plot gradient vector in ContourPlot
Hi,

I have made the following ContourPlot in mathematica and now I wanted to ##\vec{r}_1= \left(\begin{array}{c} -1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right)##, ##\vec{r}_2= \left(\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ \sqrt{2} \end{array}\right)## and ##\vec{r}_3= \left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right)## insert the gradient into the ContourPlot.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-11 um 15.33.19.png

Is this possible and if so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Orodruin for your help 👍

Since I want to have the vectors at certain points in the ContourPlot, I used ListVectorPlot[{{x1,y1},{vx1,vy1}},...}].

Unfortunately, Mathematica then plots a vector field

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-12 um 12.35.57.png

Check out the VectorPoints option

1. What is a plot gradient vector in ContourPlot?

A plot gradient vector in ContourPlot is a graphical representation of the direction and magnitude of the gradient at each point on a contour plot. It is often used to visualize the rate of change of a function in two-dimensional space.

2. How is a plot gradient vector calculated in ContourPlot?

A plot gradient vector is calculated using the partial derivatives of the function being plotted. These derivatives are used to determine the direction and magnitude of the gradient at each point on the contour plot.

3. What information can be obtained from a plot gradient vector in ContourPlot?

A plot gradient vector can provide information about the direction and rate of change of a function in two-dimensional space. It can also be used to identify critical points, such as maxima, minima, and saddle points.

4. How can a plot gradient vector be customized in ContourPlot?

In ContourPlot, a plot gradient vector can be customized by changing the length, color, and style of the arrows representing the gradient. It can also be adjusted to show only a subset of the vectors or to include additional information, such as the value of the gradient at each point.

5. What are the benefits of using a plot gradient vector in ContourPlot?

Using a plot gradient vector in ContourPlot can help to visually understand the behavior of a function and identify important features, such as critical points. It can also aid in finding the direction of steepest ascent or descent, which can be useful in optimization problems.