Is the Hubble Space Telescope Dead?

In summary, Hubble is back online and observing, but there is still concern about the future of the telescope.
russ_watters
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
A computer glitch has rendered the HST inoperable. Is it the end?
I first saw note of this about a week ago and I don't think it has gotten enough attention:
On June 13, a crucial component that operated the telescope stopped working. The instrument automatically placed itself in safe mode and it notified NASA operators of the situation. The operators have tried valiantly to fix the wayward computer, but they failed. As of this Wednesday, the Hubble Space Telescope is not operational.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/30/opinions/hubble-telescope-glitch-opinion-lincoln/index.html

While I don't want to eulogize too soon, I'm wondering where the HST ranks in the annals of the most significant scientific instruments in human history. Surely it has to be near the top.

Likes davenn and DaveE
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This July 4 article says:
Given the complexity of switching multiple systems over to their backups, the operations team is currently reviewing and updating all of Hubble‘s operations procedures, commands, and all other items relating to switching to backup hardware. When they are finished (expected for next week) the team will run a high-fidelity simulator to test their plan of execution and see if they can pull it off.
Edit:
Also Phil Plait who worked on Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph (STIS):
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/hubble-on-the-bubble-can-nasa-fix-the-worlds-most-famous-telescope

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and FactChecker
russ_watters said:
I'm wondering where the HST ranks in the annals of the most significant scientific instruments in human history. Surely it has to be near the top.
I think so too. :smile:

Likes davenn
russ_watters said:
I'm wondering where the HST ranks in the annals of the most significant scientific instruments in human history. Surely it has to be near the top.
The best photo ever taken - The Hubble Ultra Deep Field

heic0611b.jpg

Likes phinds, Keith_McClary, berkeman and 3 others
It appears that it lives on-

July 16, 2021 - NASA Successfully Switches to Backup Hardware on Hubble Space Telescope

NASA has successfully switched to backup hardware on the Hubble Space Telescope, including powering on the backup payload computer, on July 15. The switch was performed to compensate for a problem with the original payload computer that occurred on June 13 when the computer halted, suspending science data collection.

• Love
Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, BillTre and 6 others
It appears not only that it's alive, but it's well and returned to work!

Hubble Returns to Full Science Observations and Releases New Images

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope is back in business, exploring the universe near and far. The science instruments have returned to full operation, following recovery from a computer anomaly that suspended the telescope’s observations for more than a month.

Likes Klystron, diogenesNY, Borg and 7 others
The James Webb is reported to be superior to the Hubble. It’s supposed to released in November. From what I know, they’ll work together, but now I’m wondering how if they have a plan for if the Hubble has to be scrapped? The James Webb has already oversubscribed observing time to different programs, so what happens to the programs/observation slots being ran through Hubble? It could be a mess.

Fervent Freyja said:
The James Webb is reported to be superior to the Hubble.
Not on the ground, it's not.
Fervent Freyja said:
It’s supposed to released in November.
We hope.
Fervent Freyja said:
The James Webb has already oversubscribed observing time to different programs, so what happens to the programs/observation slots being ran through Hubble?
They stop when Hubble does.

First, JWST is an infrared telescope, not a visible telescope like Hubble. Second, everyone applying for time on Hubble knows we are in year 32 of a 15 year expected lifetime.

Vanadium 50 said:
we are in year 32 of a 15 year expected lifetime
Wow, I did not know that. Quite impressive. :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
Not on the ground, it's not.
Obviously.

Vanadium 50 said:
We hope.

What problems could occur that would push the release back? I think that it’s a go here. I’m betting before the year ends. Aren’t people pushing hard on getting it launched?
Vanadium 50 said:
First, JWST is an infrared telescope, not a visible telescope like Hubble. Second, everyone applying for time on Hubble knows we are in year 32 of a 15 year expected lifetime.
That all makes sense.

DaveE said:
The best photo ever taken - The Hubble Ultra Deep Field
I posted this video before in the "Our Beautiful Universe" thread.
I like the video because it gives at least some intuition about the scales of space and time involved, and also about the development of galaxies and the estimated number of galaxies in the observable Universe.

Ultra Deep Field: Looking Out into Space, Looking Back into Time (Hubble Space Telescope)

This six-minute visual exploration of the Hubble Ultra Deep Field showcases the characteristics and contents of this landmark observation, as well as its three-dimensional nature across both space and time. In particular, galaxies are seen to more than 12 billion light-years away / 12 billion years ago, allowing astronomers to trace the development of galaxies across cosmic time. [...]

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, DaveE and nsaspook

1. Is the Hubble Space Telescope still functioning?

No, the Hubble Space Telescope is not dead. It is still functioning and continues to capture stunning images of our universe.

2. Why was there concern that the Hubble Space Telescope was dead?

There was concern that the Hubble Space Telescope was dead because it experienced a technical issue in June 2021 that caused it to enter a safe mode. This meant that the telescope temporarily stopped collecting data and communicating with Earth.

3. Has the Hubble Space Telescope been fixed?

Yes, the Hubble Space Telescope has been fixed and is back to its normal operations. NASA engineers were able to identify and fix the issue, and the telescope is now fully functional again.

4. How long has the Hubble Space Telescope been in operation?

The Hubble Space Telescope was launched into orbit in 1990, making it over 30 years old. It has been a crucial tool for astronomers and has made numerous groundbreaking discoveries during its time in operation.

5. Will the Hubble Space Telescope be replaced by newer technology?

There are plans for a successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, called the James Webb Space Telescope, which is set to launch in late 2021. However, the Hubble will still continue to operate and provide valuable data until its eventual retirement in the future.

Back