Is the Lorentz metric compatible with the topology of flat spacetime?

In summary, the Lorentz metric used in spacetime is not a metric in the traditional sense as it allows for negative values and does not follow the usual rules of a metric space. The topology of spacetime is not even Hausdorff due to the entire light-cone being included in the usual open sphere. The topology of flat spacetime is generated by a metric, but it is not a Riemannian metric as it allows for different signatures. Spacetime can be considered a topological manifold with a locally Euclidean metric, but the Lorentz metric is used to describe the physical distance between points.
dslowik
Could someone clarify, and/or point me to some reference on:
Lorentz metric is not really a metric in the sense of metric spaces of a topology course since it admits negative values. If I use it to define the usual open sphere about a point, that sphere includes the entire light-cone through that point. so space time is not even Hausdorff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the topology of (flat) ST generated by a metric? i.e. is spacetime a metric space? If so, what is the metric? (Lorentz 'metric' goes negative -not a metric! is my confusion)

dslowik said:
Is the topology of (flat) ST generated by a metric? i.e. is spacetime a metric space? If so, what is the metric? (Lorentz 'metric' goes negative -not a metric! is my confusion)

Are you confusing topology and geometry? A topological manifold doesn't have a metric at all. As for being a metric space, technically, neither SR flat spactime nor GR spacetime are Riemanian metric spaces. Instead, they are semi-Riemannian or pseudo-Riemannian; specifically, this allows a metric signature other than ++++.

Right, a topological space may not have a metric.
A metric is additional structure on a set.
A set with a metric gives rise to a metric topology on that set. (I mean usual non-neg, symmetric, non-deg metric).

I am reading John Lee's Topological Spaces. There he defines a top manifold as:
1) topological space locally homeomorphic to R^n, 2) Hausdorff & 3) second countable.
So, assuming ST is a topological space (by this def), can't we use the local homeomorphism to R^n to define (locally) a metric on ST via pullback of the Euclidean metric on R^n? And likewise any topological manifold is a (local)metric space (but not general topological spaces).

It seems that ST is a topological manifold with a locally Euclidean metric. This describes its topological structure as a metric space. We than add further structure to this metric/topological space by adding the non-Riemanian Lorentz metric. Thus we are using one metric and corresponding open balls to describe the topology, and another metric to describe the 'physical' distance between points. the physical distance between some points is 0, which is a very different topology than the locally Euclidean one; but the Lorentz metric can't be used to describe open balls for a topology?

as Chris Hillman said:
"Lorentzian metrics get their topology from the (locally euclidean) topological manifold structure, not from the bundled indefinite bilinear form."
But it seems odd to me that we impose a locally euclidean topology, then use a quite different metric to describe physical separation of points..

Related to Is the Lorentz metric compatible with the topology of flat spacetime?

1. What is the topology of flat spacetime?

The topology of flat spacetime is a four-dimensional manifold that is locally flat, meaning that at any given point it can be described using the geometry of Euclidean space. This means that the topology of flat spacetime is the same as that of a four-dimensional Minkowski space.

2. How is the topology of flat spacetime different from that of curved spacetime?

Unlike flat spacetime, the topology of curved spacetime is not locally flat and cannot be described using the geometry of Euclidean space. Curved spacetime has a non-trivial topology, meaning that it cannot be continuously deformed into a simpler shape without breaking or folding. This is due to the presence of gravity, which causes the geometry of spacetime to be curved.

3. What implications does the topology of flat spacetime have on our understanding of the universe?

The topology of flat spacetime has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It allows us to describe the geometry of the universe on a large scale, including the distribution and behavior of matter and energy. It also plays a crucial role in theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How is the topology of flat spacetime related to the concept of spacetime dimensions?

The topology of flat spacetime is closely related to the concept of spacetime dimensions. Flat spacetime is a four-dimensional manifold, meaning that it has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. This is in contrast to curved spacetime, which can have a non-integer number of dimensions due to its non-trivial topology.

5. Can the topology of flat spacetime change?

The topology of flat spacetime is considered to be constant and unchanging. This is because the geometry of flat spacetime is not affected by the presence of matter and energy, unlike in curved spacetime where the topology can be altered by the distribution of mass and energy. However, in theories such as string theory, it is possible for the topology of spacetime to change in some circumstances, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.