Is the Milky Way Warped? New 3D Map Reveals Surprising Findings

In summary, a study has shown that the Milky Way galaxy is warped, and there is a sun symbol on the map to denote our position within it. Although it is only a guess, it is believed that we are in the densest clump of stars. Altair 4 is also in the same clump. The sun symbol was tattooed onto the image, and it was originally overlooked until it was searched for.
not-sure-whats-going-on-here.jpg

https://www.inverse.com/article/58175-study-shows-the-milky-way-is-warped

Likes davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Neat, but where is the "you are here" pointer? :smile:

• Haha
Likes davenn
True, but I think it’s fair to say we are in the densest clump of stars although that’s only a guess on my part.

I think Altair 4 is in the same clump too.

Actually there is a sun symbol on the map to denote our position.

jedishrfu said:
Actually there is a sun symbol on the map to denote our position.
Ah ha ! I missed that. Thanks.

phinds said:
Ah ha ! I missed that. Thanks.

Its understandable, they tattooed it to the image and I only noticed when I went looking for Altair 4. I did find Anne Francis though. :-)

What is the "New 3D Map of the Milky Way"?

The "New 3D Map of the Milky Way" is a highly detailed and accurate map of our galaxy created by a team of scientists using data from the European Space Agency's Gaia satellite. It provides a comprehensive view of the Milky Way and its structure, including the positions and movements of over 1.8 billion stars.

How was the "New 3D Map of the Milky Way" created?

The map was created by analyzing data collected by the Gaia satellite over a period of five years. This data was combined with previous observations and measurements to create a 3D model of the Milky Way. Advanced algorithms and techniques were used to process the vast amount of data and create the final map.

What are the benefits of the "New 3D Map of the Milky Way"?

The map provides scientists with a more complete and accurate understanding of the Milky Way, including its structure, composition, and evolution. It also allows for the study of individual stars and their movements, which can provide insights into the formation and dynamics of our galaxy.

What can we learn from the "New 3D Map of the Milky Way"?

With this map, scientists can study the distribution and movements of stars, as well as the distribution of dark matter in our galaxy. It can also help us better understand the Milky Way's history and how it compares to other galaxies in the universe.

How will the "New 3D Map of the Milky Way" impact future research?

The map will serve as a valuable resource for future research on the Milky Way and other galaxies. It will also aid in the development of new theories and models about the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as provide a foundation for future space missions and observations.