Is the Mystery Particle Discovery Just Media Hype?

In summary, there is a lot of excitement surrounding the possible discovery of a mystery particle, but experts are cautious due to previous false signals and the lack of confirmation from other experiments. The discovery would require physics that is not currently understood, and the significance of the signal is being questioned by some experts. While the media is giving attention to this topic, it is not receiving as much attention within the field of particle physics.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Mystery particle spotted? Discovery would require physics so weird that nobody has even thought of it

http://flip.it/Y6A5he

Could be DM ? Or really an error

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Mystery particle spotted? Discovery would require physics so weird that nobody has even thought of it

They've found other signals like this before, but they all disappeared with more runs. I wouldn't get my hopes up yet. Plus, if it were DM, then it wouldn't have decayed. DM is supposed to be incredibly stable.

Likes Arman777
Arman777 said:

phys.org frequently struggles with particle physics, but this article is exceptionally bad.
It is most likely a random statistical fluctuation, and it gets much more attention in the media than among experts - because the peak is not significant enough to be interesting.

Likes Klystron, Amrator, Arman777 and 1 other person
I see well thanks then. I thought like that too. This media ... :)

mfb said:
phys.org frequently struggles with particle physics, but this article is exceptionally bad.

ah good to know then, i mostly visit phys.org for news.

this article comes from here btw.
https://theconversation.com/mystery...ird-that-nobody-has-even-thought-of-it-106260

"Again there's a lot of excitement among particle physicists, but this time it is mixed with a sense of anxiety"

I believe I've read that, when Werner Heisenberg had his thoughts about quantum mechanics on the island helgoland, he was shocked or anxious about his idea.
So having a sense of anxiety seems to be a good sign lol. But this case is differently of course.

Last edited:
areion said:
this article comes from here btw.

That article is still terrible.

1. According to CMS, the probability of getting a peak as large as claimed (using only the 6 year old data) is 1/750. However, the number of papers CMS has published is over 800. So you expect a fluctuation of this size.
  2. CMS does not see this in the later data, twice as big.
  3. All four experiments are in principle able to comment on this. Having six years of data in the can, nobody jumped up to confirm this.

Furthermore, having read the preprint, I don't believe the statistics. The most significant peak fitting fits the background very differently in the absence of the peak. This is a sign that the significance is overestimated.

mfb said:
it gets much more attention in the media than among experts

Roger Barlow isn't an expert?

Did he publish something about it (or works on it) - or did he just write an article for laypeople?

I'm pretty sure there is much more excitement this time, but they have been burned before.

websterling said:
I don't think he worked on this particular study, but he is fairly well credentialed. This gives a nice overview of his career-
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/uoh-pfi120717.php
Physicist who founded International Institute for Accelerator Applications receives award
I don't question his expertise, he is clearly an expert.
My original statement was: This mainly gets attention in the media (things written for non-experts), not within the field.
The article Roger Barlow is an example of that. If he would have published something about this small bump it would be an indication of attention within the field of particle physics.

What is a "Mystery particle"?

A "Mystery particle" refers to a hypothetical particle that has not yet been discovered or fully understood by scientists. It is often used as a placeholder name for a particle that has been observed through experiments, but its properties and characteristics have not been fully determined.

What are the properties of the "Mystery particle"?

The properties of the "Mystery particle" are currently unknown. Scientists have not been able to fully identify its mass, charge, spin, or other characteristics. Further research and experiments are needed to determine its properties.

What is the significance of the "Mystery particle"?

The "Mystery particle" is significant because it could potentially expand our understanding of the universe and fundamental physics. Its discovery and study could lead to new insights and advancements in the field of particle physics.

How is the "Mystery particle" different from other known particles?

The "Mystery particle" is different from other known particles because it has not been fully identified or categorized by scientists. It may have unique properties and behaviors that distinguish it from other particles.

What are scientists doing to study the "Mystery particle"?

Scientists are conducting experiments using particle accelerators and detectors to try and observe the "Mystery particle" and gather data on its properties. They are also using mathematical models and theories to predict its behavior and guide their research.