Is the Nyquist Plot Problem Solvable with a Stable Open Loop Transfer Function?

• Thread starter rudra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary, Rudra thinks that the open loop transfer function should have a R.H.S. zero, but when he looked at the answer keys for the problem, he found that every website or book gives option (c) i.e. G(s) is the impedance of passive network. However, after talking to uart, he realized that the only possible answer is "b".
rudra
1. Problem is given in the following link:
http://s11.postimage.org/mrns0fu37/Problem.jpg

Homework Equations

In my opinion open loop transfer function is given stable. So poles on RHS for open loop t.f. will be 0. But nyquist plot rotates (0,0) point by -360 . So thare will be one RHS open loop zero.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rudra said:
In my opinion open loop transfer function is given stable. So poles on RHS for open loop t.f. will be 0. But nyquist plot rotates (0,0) point by -360 . So thare will be one RHS open loop zero.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Hi rudra, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

It does look stable, and has no poles—is that what you are saying?

I have forgotten a lot about Nyquist plots but if there were a zero in the open loop transfer function, then surely the plot would go though (0,0)?

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion open loop t.f. should have a R.H.S. zero. But I think that's the wrong answer. Because when I searched the answer keys for the problem. Every website or book gives option (c) i.e. G(s) is the impedance of passive network. But none of the book or websites explain the answer neither can I.

If you know the explanation please reply.

Let's first see what features we are in agreement on ...

What is the minimum forward gain, and what is the maximum forward gain?

What would you estimate to be the DC gain? — and why do you give this value?

To answer these, see the intro to this article on the Nyquist plot - http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/econtrolhtml/Freq/Freq6.html

Last edited:
rudra said:
In my opinion open loop t.f. should have a R.H.S. zero. But I think that's the wrong answer. Because when I searched the answer keys for the problem. Every website or book gives option (c) i.e. G(s) is the impedance of passive network. But none of the book or websites explain the answer neither can I.

If you know the explanation please reply.
No it can't be the impedance of a passive network, because it has a negative real component for some values of frequency. A passive network can't have a negative resistance, so I think that your answer (b) is correct. Even by process of elimination, I think the only answer that is possible is "b".

Process of elimination.
(a) Allpass filter has constant gain, therefore constant radius (from origin) of Nyquist plot. So cannot be this.
(c) Cannot be impedance of passive network because it has a negative resistance at some frequencies.
(d) Cannot be marginally stable, as a pole on the [itex]jw[/itex] axis would result in asymptotes (to infinity) at some points on the Nyquist plot.

Last edited:
uart said:
(a) Allpass filter has constant gain, therefore constant radius (from origin) of Nyquist plot. So cannot be this.
It depends on what you expect from an allpass network. I contend that it is an allpass network—across the entire spectrum it has a uniform gain of unity, with a ripple ±6 dB.

At last someone gave some answer. Thank you uart for the help.

Related to Is the Nyquist Plot Problem Solvable with a Stable Open Loop Transfer Function?

1. What is a Nyquist plot?

A Nyquist plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the relationship between the input and output signals of a system in the frequency domain.

2. Why is solving a Nyquist plot problem important?

Solving a Nyquist plot problem allows us to understand and analyze the characteristics of a system, such as stability, gain, and phase margin. This information is crucial in designing and controlling systems in various fields, including engineering, physics, and biology.

3. What are the steps to solve a Nyquist plot problem?

The steps to solve a Nyquist plot problem include: 1) identifying the transfer function of the system, 2) sketching the frequency response plot, 3) determining the poles and zeros of the transfer function, 4) plotting the poles and zeros on the Nyquist diagram, and 5) analyzing the stability and other characteristics of the system using the Nyquist plot.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a Nyquist plot problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a Nyquist plot problem include: 1) misinterpreting the transfer function, 2) incorrectly sketching the frequency response plot, 3) incorrect calculation of poles and zeros, and 4) not considering the appropriate range of frequencies.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help solve Nyquist plot problems?

Yes, there are various tools and software available to help solve Nyquist plot problems, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and online calculators. These tools can help with the calculations and graphical representation of the Nyquist plot, making the process faster and more accurate.