Is the oxidization of a substance ever exothermic?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exothermic
In summary: This reaction, as you called it, is an example of a redox reaction. Redox reactions are the process that allows for the transfer of electrons from one molecule to another. In this case, hydrogen is transferring its electrons to platinum. This reaction is exothermic because it is releasing heat.
Topher925
Like the question states, if you remove the electrons from an atom using some catalyst, will that reaction be exothermic or neutral. For example oxidization of hydrogen using platinum.

H2 + Pt = PtH+2 + 2e-

Would this reaction absorb or emit any heat? I wouldn't think so since I think this reaction can occur almost spontaneously as the Pt reduces the H2 bond strength to 0eV or am I just talking nonsense here?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are confusing spontaneity with enthalpy. Oxygen and hydrogen spontaneously combine to form water and that reaction is plenty exothermic.

chemisttree said:
You are confusing spontaneity with enthalpy. Oxygen and hydrogen spontaneously combine to form water and that reaction is plenty exothermic.

Yes, I realize the reaction between hydrogen and oxygen is exothermic, but what about the reaction of hydrogen with platinum?

What reaction is that? The one you show doesn't make any sense. Do you have a reference for it?

I know that platinum oxide is reduced in the presence of hydrogen (producing water) to platinum metal but I have never seen platinum itself reacting with hydrogen to generate acid and 2 electrons (where do they go?). The "reaction" you suggest is simply the adsorption of hydrogen on the surface of platinum. It is likely an exothermic process since it is known to occur and entropy is decreasing. I don't think that any electrons or acid are produced...

here's a few exothermic oxidations:

Last edited by a moderator:
anthemrider22 said:
here's a few exothermic oxidations:

Hi,

This video is very good to keep all the facts in mind, as this is giving me a pure example of exothermic oxidations which are no doubt very serving.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
What reaction is that? The one you show doesn't make any sense. Do you have a reference for it?

I know that platinum oxide is reduced in the presence of hydrogen (producing water) to platinum metal but I have never seen platinum itself reacting with hydrogen to generate acid and 2 electrons (where do they go?). The "reaction" you suggest is simply the adsorption of hydrogen on the surface of platinum. It is likely an exothermic process since it is known to occur and entropy is decreasing. I don't think that any electrons or acid are produced...

Sorry for my nonsense, I should have been more clear. I'm referring to the reaction or maybe you would call it a process, where hydrogen is chem-absorbed by platinum and the hydrogen molecules split from a single diatomic molecule into two monotonic molecules and both are oxidized (no O2 present). If this happens at a three phase region where one of those phases is an electrolyte and the other phase is an electronically conductive material, the electrons have the ability to separate from the hydrogen creating cations. The cations of course can then migrate through the electrolyte. If you need references I can post a few, but I thought this was a rather common process in electrochemistry?

Again, sorry if I'm not making any sense, I'm an ME trying to learn electrochemistry.

1. What is oxidization and how does it occur?

Oxidization is a chemical reaction in which a substance loses electrons to oxygen molecules. This reaction can occur through various processes, such as combustion, rusting, or metabolism.

2. Is the oxidization of a substance always exothermic?

No, the oxidization of a substance can be either exothermic or endothermic, depending on the specific reaction and conditions.

3. What factors influence whether the oxidization of a substance is exothermic or endothermic?

The type of substance, the amount of oxygen present, and the temperature and pressure of the reaction can all affect whether the oxidization is exothermic or endothermic.

4. Can you give an example of an exothermic oxidization reaction?

One example of an exothermic oxidization reaction is the burning of wood. The wood reacts with oxygen in the air, releasing heat and light energy in the process.

5. Why is it important to understand whether the oxidization of a substance is exothermic or endothermic?

Understanding the energy changes that occur during oxidization reactions is crucial in many fields, including chemistry, biology, and environmental science. This knowledge can help predict the behavior of substances and design more efficient processes.