Is the principle of minimum action applicable to nonholonomic systems?

In summary: It seems like the principle of minimum action, also known as Hamilton's principle, does not apply to nonholonomic systems. Nonholonomic systems have unique properties that make them non-variational and non-Poisson, and they do not always preserve momentum or volume in the phase space. These differences make the study of nonholonomic systems complex and intriguing.
ORF
Hello

Is the principle of minimum action applicable to nonholonomic systems? Why?

If this question is already answered in this forum, just tell me, and I will delete this thread.

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings
PS: My mother language is not English, so I'll be glad if you correct any mistake.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
ORF said:
principle of minimum action
Sorry, that was an old expression; the modern one is "principle of least action" (or stationary action).

Greetings.

It is known as Hamilton's principle in classical mechanics :)

Greetings.

I googled the terms, and found

http://www.ingvet.kau.se/juerfuch/kurs/amek/prst/11_nhco.pdf

http://www2.cds.caltech.edu/~blochbk/mechanics_and_control/survey/2005-02-07_survey_fullrefs.pdf.
"There are some fascinating differences between nonholonomic systems and classical Hamiltonian or Lagrangian systems. Among other things: Nonholonomic systems are nonvariational - they arise from the Lagrange-d'Alembert principle and not from Hamilton's principle; while energy is preserved for nonholonomic systems, momentum is not always preserved for systems with symmetry (i.e., there is nontrivial dynamics associated with the nonholonomic generalization of Noether's theorem); nonholonomic systems are almost Poisson but not Poisson (i.e., there is a bracket which together with the energy on the phase space defines the motion, but the bracket generally does not satisfy the Jacobi identity); and finally, unlike the Hamiltonian setting, volume may not be preserved in the phase space, leading to interesting asymptotic stability in some cases, despite energy conservation."

Hello

Thank you so much for the links. I didn't know that this issue was so complex :)

Greetings.

Related to Is the principle of minimum action applicable to nonholonomic systems?

1. What is the principle of minimum action?

The principle of minimum action, also known as the principle of least action, is a fundamental law in physics that states that a system will always follow the path that requires the least action or energy. This principle is derived from the idea that nature seeks to minimize the energy used in any given process.

2. How is the principle of minimum action applicable to nonholonomic systems?

The principle of minimum action is applicable to nonholonomic systems, which are systems that do not satisfy the conditions of holonomy. Nonholonomic systems do not have a symmetric motion, and therefore, the principle of minimum action cannot be applied directly. However, by using a mathematical approach called the Hamiltonian formalism, the principle of minimum action can be extended to nonholonomic systems.

3. What are examples of nonholonomic systems?

Some examples of nonholonomic systems include rolling objects such as a ball or a wheel, systems with friction, and systems with non-conservative forces. These systems do not satisfy the holonomy conditions of having a symmetric motion, and therefore, the principle of minimum action cannot be applied directly.

4. Why is the principle of minimum action important in physics?

The principle of minimum action is important in physics because it is a fundamental law that governs the behavior of systems in nature. It is used to understand and predict the motion of particles and objects, as well as to derive equations of motion in various fields of physics, such as classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the applicability of the principle of minimum action?

Yes, there are some limitations to the applicability of the principle of minimum action. It cannot be applied to systems with constraints or non-conservative forces, and it is not applicable to systems with quantum effects. Additionally, it is only applicable to systems in equilibrium or steady-state conditions, and it cannot predict the behavior of systems in transient or non-equilibrium states.