Is the pronunciation of 'where' in English commonly heard as 'w+schwa'?

• Thread starter fxdung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the conversation discusses the pronunciation of the word "where", with one person hearing it as "w+schwa" and another hearing it as a homonym of "ware". The conversation also touches on the distinction between the pronunciations of "win" and "when", as well as "whale" and "wail/wale". It is suggested that many words in English starting with "wh" are of Germanic origin and were originally written as "hw".
fxdung
In this video that the link is below, there is a phrase: "where I spoke in Egypt" ,time is about 0:12. I hear "where" as "w+schwa".Is that correct or my ear hearing wrongly?

Science news on Phys.org
Dunno, sounded normal to me.
I heard "where" as if a homonym of ware.

Likes symbolipoint and pinball1970
I heard wṛ (with vocalic r), typical American pronunciation. English pronunciation would be wεǝ.
You may have heard it as wǝr (I spoke), i.e. wǝ with an intrusive r between vowels, as in Laura Norder.

DaveC426913 said:
I heard "where" as if a homonym of ware.
Some people pronounce "where" and "ware/wear" the same, but others don't. One online dictionary shows a phonetic representation of "where" as [(h)wer], and gives the etymology as Old English hwǣr, of Germanic origin.

In the same vein is the distinction between the pronunciations of "win" and "when." Many speakers pronounce these the same, but some others will pronounce "when" something like as if it were spelled "hwen."

Another example is how "whale" is sometimes pronounced differently from "wail" or "wale" (the latter as in "wide wale corduroy." This disparity in pronunciation is something I wondered about for a long time until I came across a dictionary definition of "whale" that included its etymology -- Old English hwæl, of Germanic origin.

My suspicion is that many words in English that start with "wh" are of Germanic origin and were actually written in Old English as "hw...".

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
1672244340763.png

I could not hear much distinctly. "Where" was pronounced closely enough that nothing sounded strange; nothing unusual. Maybe the way he said was just less clear at that narrow moment.

1. How do you pronounce the word "where" in English?

The word "where" is pronounced as "wair" with a long "a" sound and a silent "h".

2. Is the pronunciation of "where" different in British and American English?

Yes, the pronunciation of "where" is slightly different in British and American English. In British English, it is pronounced as "wair" with a long "a" sound and a silent "h". In American English, it is pronounced as "hwhere" with a short "a" sound and a pronounced "h".

3. Are there any other variations in the pronunciation of "where"?

Yes, there are other variations in the pronunciation of "where" depending on the regional dialect. For example, in some parts of the United States, it is pronounced as "whar" with a short "a" sound and a silent "h". In some parts of the United Kingdom, it is pronounced as "wheer" with a long "e" sound and a silent "h".

4. How can I improve my pronunciation of "where"?

To improve your pronunciation of "where", you can practice by listening to native speakers and mimicking their pronunciation. You can also use online resources or take a pronunciation class to learn the correct pronunciation.

5. Are there any common mistakes in the pronunciation of "where"?

One common mistake in the pronunciation of "where" is pronouncing the "h" sound, which is actually silent. Another mistake is pronouncing the "e" at the end, which should also be silent. It is important to listen carefully and practice to avoid these mistakes.