Is the Range of This Linear Transformation the Entire R2?

In summary, the problem involves finding the range and kernel of a linear transformation T from R^3 to R^2. The kernel is found to be a 1-dimensional subspace with a basis of (1, 1, 1), while the range is a 2-dimensional subspace with a basis of (1, 1) and (-1, 0). The questioner is unsure about how to determine the range and is seeking further clarification.
oomba

Homework Statement

T:[tex]{R^3 \rightarrow {R^2}[/tex] given by [tex]T(v_1,v_2,v_3) = (v_3 -v_1, v_3 - v_2)[/tex]

If linear, specify the range of T and kernel T

The attempt at a solution
Okay, I went ahead and tried to find the kernel of T like here:
[tex]\begin{align*}&v_3 - v_1 = 0\\
&v_3 - v_2 = 0\end{align*}[/tex]

Thus, [tex]\begin{align*}&v_3 = v_1 \\
&v_3 = v_2\end{align*}[/tex]

So choosing v3 as s gives the 1-D basis of W= s(1, 1, 1) **a column vector**

But I'm not entirely sure how to get the range. IF I did the kernel correctly, then that means the dimension of the range will be 2 as 2+1 = 3 (the dimension of the domain). But when I try to do the range, I get a 3-dimensional basis where v1,v2,and v3 are their own LI vectors as so:
(y1,y2) = s(1,1) + t(-1,0) + r(0,-1)

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything seems fine. So where's your difficulty?

You have correctly deduced that the range must have dimension 2 and you know that the range is a subspace of R2.

How many subspaces of dimension 2 do you think R2 has!

Related to Is the Range of This Linear Transformation the Entire R2?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, it is a transformation that maintains the linear structure of a vector space.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation follows the rules of linearity, meaning that the output is directly proportional to the input. In contrast, a non-linear transformation does not follow these rules and the output may not be directly proportional to the input.

3. How do you represent a linear transformation?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. The input vector is multiplied by this matrix to produce the output vector. The number of rows in the matrix corresponds to the dimension of the input vector space, and the number of columns corresponds to the dimension of the output vector space.

4. Can a linear transformation change the size or shape of a vector?

No, a linear transformation cannot change the size or shape of a vector. It can only change the direction and magnitude of the vector.

5. What are some common examples of linear transformations?

Some common examples of linear transformations include scaling, rotating, and shearing. These can be represented by matrices that correspond to the desired transformation.