Is the relationship between power, torque and RPM a linear relationship?

In summary, the motor produces 240Nm of torque which is multiplied by a 20:1 gearbox ratio. This torque is then transferred through a series of gears, with each gear ratio multiplying the torque further. The final torque at the outer surface of a 600mm gear is equal to the initial torque (240Nm) multiplied by the gear ratio (20) and divided by the gear's radius (0.6m), resulting in a final torque of 26181.8Nm. However, it's important to note that torque acts around the axis, not at a distance from the axis. Additionally, the relationship between power and torque is linear and can be expressed through various equations.
Stephen123
Hi I have a problem dealing with rpm power and torque.

I have a motor powering a gearbox which has a 20:1 ratio.

The power and rpm are not an issue so i have not looked at those figures but the motor produces 240Nm of torque. Since it is a 20:1 gearbox, i have assumed the torque is 20 times greater with the rpm being 20 times slower? Is this correct?

From there the power is transferred through a number of gears. Can I follow the same method above and assume the torque multiplies each time buy the gear ratio?

I.e. the gearbox output shaft is 110mm and connected to a 600mm gear, therefore is the torque at the outer surface of the gear is equal to (240nm*20)*(600/110) = 26181.8Nm of torque?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen123 said:
I.e. the gearbox shaft is connected to a 110mm shaft connected to a 600mm gear,
Did you mean "a 110mm gear is on the gearbox shaft"? It's best to post a diagram, or be more clear what gears are on the same shaft vs. meshed with their teeth.

Stephen123 said:
therefore is the torque at the outer surface of the gear
A torque not "at the outer surface of the gear" but around its axis.

A.T. said:
Did you mean "a 110mm gear is on the gearbox shaft"? It's best to post a diagram, or be more clear what gears are on the same shaft vs. meshed with their teeth.A torque not "at the outer surface of the gear" but around its axis.

Sorry typo, the 600mm gear is on the 110mm shaft. My thought is that if the gear was essentially a wheel, would the torque applied by the 600 diameter be a ratio of 600mm/110mm?

Therefore the torque at the 110mm shaft multiplied by the size ratio would give the torque at the outside of the 600mm?

Stephen123 said:
Therefore the torque at the 110mm shaft multiplied by the size ratio would give the torque at the outside of the 600mm?
For a given torque on a shaft, the required force to exactly counterbalance that torque would be different if applied on the outside of the shaft or the outside of the gear. The ratio of the required forces would indeed be the ratio of the radii. 600mm/110mm as in your example. If 600 N of force on the outside of a shaft could keep it from turning then 110 N of force on the teeth of the gear welded to the shaft could do the same thing.

Stephen123 said:
Hi I have a problem dealing with rpm power and torque.

I have a motor powering a gearbox which has a 20:1 ratio.

The power and rpm are not an issue so i have not looked at those figures but the motor produces 240Nm of torque. Since it is a 20:1 gearbox, i have assumed the torque is 20 times greater with the rpm being 20 times slower? Is this correct?

Yes.

From there the power is transferred through a number of gears. Can I follow the same method above and assume the torque multiplies each time buy the gear ratio?

Yes.

I.e. the gearbox output shaft is 110mm and connected to a 600mm gear, therefore is the torque at the outer surface of the gear is equal to (240nm*20)*(600/110) = 26181.8Nm of torque?

No. Both the 110mm and 600mm gear turn at the same rpm and have the same torque. As AT said, torques acts "around the axis" not at a distance from the axis.

Likes sophiecentaur
By definition:
Power = Torque X rotational speed (rotational speed is specifically Angular Velocity)
So the relationship is Linear. But very few motors will produce constant torque over all speeds so you need to be careful using that equation.
But you can say that
Gear Radius1 X RPM1 = Gear Radius2 X RPM2
and
Torque1 / Radius1 = Torque2 / radius2
and many other combinations.

Stephen123 said:
Sorry typo, the 600mm gear is on the 110mm shaft.
If I picture this correctly, then the shaft radius is irrelevant here. You know the torque applied to it (240Nm*20 ignoring losses), so the force at the 600mm gear's circumference is 240Nm*20/0.6m.

Likes CWatters and sophiecentaur

1. What is the relationship between power, torque, and RPM?

The relationship between power, torque, and RPM is often described as a triangular relationship, where power, torque, and RPM are the three sides of the triangle. These three quantities are all related and affect each other in a complex way.

2. Is the relationship between power, torque, and RPM linear?

No, the relationship between power, torque, and RPM is not linear. This is because each of these quantities is dependent on the other two, and changes in one can affect the other two in non-linear ways. Additionally, different engines and machines have different power, torque, and RPM characteristics, making it difficult to establish a single linear relationship.

3. How does power change with torque and RPM?

Power is directly proportional to both torque and RPM. This means that as torque and RPM increase, power also increases. However, the exact relationship between these quantities is not linear and can vary depending on the specific engine or machine.

4. What is the difference between power and torque?

Power and torque are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different quantities. Power is the rate at which work is done, while torque is the measure of rotational force. In simpler terms, power is the ability to do work, while torque is the force that causes an object to rotate.

5. Why is understanding the relationship between power, torque, and RPM important?

Understanding the relationship between power, torque, and RPM is important for engineers and scientists who work with engines and machines. It allows them to design and optimize these systems for maximum performance and efficiency. It also helps in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with these systems, as changes in one of these quantities can indicate potential problems or areas for improvement.