Is the skin depth of tarnished silver any different than untarnished?

In summary, the tarnish does not participate magnetically or electrically in the transmission of RF current, but it may slightly slow the velocity factor over the tarnished surface.
cmb
TL;DR Summary
Is the skin depth of tarnished silver any different than untarnished?
That's it, just the question.

I am figuring that the tarnish is an irrelevance as it does not participate either magnetically or electrically, so any RF current passing through the [still metallic] silver top layer, albeit with tarnish over the top, will pass through the same thickness of metallic silver and the skin depth magnetic fields will penetrate to the same depth as in the metallic case.

I'm assuming 'normal' tarnishing here of the type one gets leaving something lying around a domestic situation, silver sulphur compounds usually I think.

Therefore, so long as there are good surface-clean metal to make contacts with such a piece, then passing an RF current through the contacts, will be exactly the same as if there was no tarnish between those cleaned contact areas.

Is that about it? Any subtleties I am missing here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cmb said:
Any subtleties I am missing here?
The skin depth in the silver metal will be the same.

But the tarnish is a dielectric, that may also absorbs moisture, and so increase dielectric losses, and very slightly slow the velocity factor over the tarnished surface.

The metal oxides and sulphide compounds that form a tarnish may be semiconductors that can increase resistive losses, and possibly generate some harmonics or cross modulation with low level signals.

Likes atyy and cmb
Good points.

Yes, it is. That is why a very thin layer of gold is usually flashed over the silver in waveguides.

Likes atyy
bobob said:
That is why a very thin layer of gold is usually flashed over the silver in waveguides.
Silver is the best conductor, followed by copper, then gold.
But silver and copper tarnish, while gold does not.

Waveguides for high power employ a silver plated copper base, but with a positive pressure dry nitrogen fill, to reduce surface tarnish of the silver and associated losses.

Microwave instruments maintain their calibration over longer periods if waveguides are internally plated with gold.

Some waveguides are copper based, with the inner surface silver plated, then flashed with either rhodium or gold to reduce tarnishing of the silver.

• Informative
Likes atyy and Keith_McClary
I have noticed that if there is a thin insulating oxide layer between metals in loose contact, we seem to get electron tunneling, which gives a non linear but bi-directional action. It does not seem necessary to have a semiconductor for non linear action.

Likes atyy
tech99 said:
It does not seem necessary to have a semiconductor for non linear action.
I would call a tunneling contact a semiconductor.
Plating is not a “lose contact”, it forms an alloy of two conductive metals at a junction, parallel with the current flow.

For low power and voltages, semiconductors appear to be insulators. For higher powers and voltages, any semiconductor is fused or vaporised.

To cause non-linearity problems, the unintended semiconductor needs to survive in a junction, as part of a circuit, rather than as a grain of material resting just above the surface alternating current, swept by the guided alternating magnetic field.

1. What is skin depth?

Skin depth is the measure of how deep electromagnetic waves can penetrate into a material.

2. How does skin depth affect tarnished silver?

Tarnished silver has a different surface composition compared to untarnished silver, which can affect the skin depth and how electromagnetic waves interact with the material.

3. Is the skin depth of tarnished silver greater or smaller than untarnished silver?

The skin depth of tarnished silver is typically greater than untarnished silver due to the presence of a surface layer of tarnish that has a different composition and properties.

4. Can tarnished silver still conduct electricity?

Yes, tarnished silver can still conduct electricity because the skin depth is still shallow enough for electromagnetic waves to penetrate and interact with the underlying silver material.

5. How does the skin depth of tarnished silver affect its appearance?

The skin depth of tarnished silver can affect its appearance by changing the way it reflects light. Tarnished silver may appear darker or duller due to the increased skin depth and the resulting changes in light reflection.