Is the Universe Actually Collapsing Instead of Expanding?

In summary, this theory predicts that the outward acceleration we see in the universe is due to collapsing, not expanding. The theory also predicts that the night sky should be darker near the center of the universe, but this isn't the case.
stefanow
Greetings everyone! I used to be a huge big bang theory fan, but these days it strikes me as the most eloquent example of scientific conformism. I can fully understand that the only real alternative to it can be nothing else but a Big Nescio Theory, though ignorance can be very creative when one is not afraid to face it straight instead of ridiculing oneself by summoning dark masses, dark energies and other dark forces. From my point of view the only way to save BBT is to assume that the outward acceleration being observed today does not imply expanding but collapsing, exactly what one would expect if everything ran into a big black hole, just like trash pulled by a 3-sphere vacuum cleaner in a 4-dimentional space: they are all heading to the same final destination, but the more they are closing to it the faster are moving - so they seem to run away from one another. In this case gravity alone could be sufficient enough to explain the seemingly outward acceleration of the universe whithout any need for Darth Vader magic powers; but since there’s no visible boundaries in our universe and no absolute reference point discriminating inwards from outwards, one could easily take the one for the other. This might also account for the otherwise mysterious blackness of the night sky – the ultimate black hole at the actual center of our finite, closed-loop, self-contained universe.

Space news on Phys.org
I don't see a question here. And I'm too new to the PF, but are personal theories all right to post? It is usually frowned on, for good reasons.

[FWIW, from your description you seem to have a problem with the science process rather than specific results that you don't agree with. No one can help you with that, if studies or the following observation isn't enough:

science.jpg

]

stefanow said:
From my point of view the only way to save BBT is to assume that the outward acceleration being observed today does not imply expanding but collapsing, exactly what one would expect if everything ran into a big black hole, just like trash pulled by a 3-sphere vacuum cleaner in a 4-dimentional space: they are all heading to the same final destination, but the more they are closing to it the faster are moving - so they seem to run away from one another.

Someone else posted a similar speculative theory to this some time back, can't find the thread right now. This theory can't be right because it doesn't predict an isotropic apparent "expansion"; it predicts that we should see apparent expansion in some directions and apparent contraction in others. That's not what we see, so this model doesn't match observations and is ruled out.

stefanow said:
This might also account for the otherwise mysterious blackness of the night sky – the ultimate black hole at the actual center of our finite, closed-loop, self-contained universe.

This also doesn't predict what we actually see: it predicts that we should see a blacker night sky in one particular direction (the direction the "black hole at the center" is in), but we don't.

Thank you for answering friend! When I tried to post this theory of mine, the platform did suggest some thread about local, not universal, collapsing (or so I thought) – so I decided to post mine anyway with all respect to similar (and opposite) views. It’s been three years since it first occurred to me this crazy idea and I just thought it would be nice for “the other side” to be heard, however provocative or plainly wrong it could be. My theory presupposes a gravitational 360 degrees 4-dimensional space bending, due to some kind of incomplete/superficial big bang which leaves the initial black hole more or less intact, or even due to the debris mass itself in case of “total” big bang. The universe initialy expands slowing down and subsequently accelerates collapsing without any visible regression or deviation from straight line.This 4-dimensional bending creates an illusion of endless expanding in our 3-dimensional perception, much the same way that 3-dimensional heliocentric system creates an illusion of geocentrism in 2-dimensional perceptible sky surface. Imagine a normal sphere with one active pole that initially boosts away a ball on the surface; if there’s enough boost for the ball to make its way to the other (inactive) pole, then it starts to accelerate toward the active pole without visible deviation. Collapses between balls are possible somewhere near the 180 degrees turning point as some of them are still coming while others returning. And now imagine the universe as a 1-pole 3-sphere. Every straight line is bent toward the center leaving no room for side view, so the ultimate black hole lurks behind all we can see wherever we’re looking at. No contraction should be observed in 3 dimensions either, at least no more than, inversely, any empty space is observed at the universal “center” of the mainstream “endless expansion” theory. As I see it, one way to “verify” this model, since there's no way to be directly observed, is to calculate the mass needed to account for the acceleration observed in case of a supposed collapsing and then compare it to the visible mass. If the second is significantly less than the required mass, then there’s always the convenient “dark mass” solution – in this case the ultimate black hole. No dark energy required! There could also still exist some remnants of the 180 degree turning point collapses, but I have no idea what they might actually be.

Last edited:
Don’t think that I take the aforementioned theory any more seriously than the orthodox BBT on grounds of being mine or whatever. I just wanted to show that the same observational data could be construed more or less consistently simply by being put in a different framework. However, I’m quite certain that no maverick datum, inconsistency or contradiction could possibly shake the believers’ firm conviction on a theory that has no real evidence in favor of itself other than the background radiation noise. Formation of galaxies, large-scale space uniformity, missing mass, outward acceleration etc, etc? There will always be some a posteriori ad hoc patch or alternative geometry or dark something that accounts for everything. If my career depended on that, I would probably do the same.

Last edited:
Wrong door. Mea culpa.

Personal theories aren't allowed as per PF rules. Thread closed.

Stegnow, you should learn about the history of the BBT, its major competitive theories during the last few decades, the observational data that supports the BBT, and a whole lot more about cosmology before insulting 90+% of professional cosmologists with talk of "scientific conformism" and ignorance.

Related to Is the Universe Actually Collapsing Instead of Expanding?

1. What does "expanding = collapsing" mean?

"Expanding = collapsing" refers to the concept that as something expands or grows larger, it eventually reaches a point where it can no longer sustain that growth and begins to collapse or shrink.

2. What are some real-life examples of expanding and collapsing?

In nature, the expansion and eventual collapse of a star into a black hole is a prime example. On a smaller scale, a balloon that is continuously inflated until it bursts is also an example of expanding and collapsing.

3. How is expanding = collapsing relevant in scientific research?

Understanding the relationship between expansion and collapse is important in fields such as astrophysics, where the expansion and collapse of the universe is studied, as well as in material science, where the properties of expanding and collapsing materials are explored.

4. Can expanding = collapsing be applied to social or economic systems?

Yes, the concept can be applied to social and economic systems where growth is unsustainable and can eventually lead to collapse. Examples include stock market bubbles and population growth.

5. Is expanding = collapsing always a negative phenomenon?

No, expanding and collapsing can be a natural and necessary process in maintaining balance and stability in various systems. However, it can also have negative consequences if not managed properly, such as in the case of environmental destruction or economic collapse.