Is theory of relativity really relative ?

In summary: M, the pulse never reaches S2. So S2 cannot be said to receive the laser.Oh...right...I should explain more clearly.There are two stationary physicists S1 and S2 located far from each other. And there is a third physicist moving at the speed of light in a straight line connecting S2 and S1, from S2 to S1, who we call M.S1 shines a laser at S2 which, by experience, we know S2 receives.But in the frame...of M, the pulse never reaches S2. So S2 cannot be said to receive the laser.
Wicked Wildie
Einstein made the theory based on Maxwell saying that electromagnetic waves travel with same speed from the view of all inertial & non - inertial frame. Then with what speed relative to a person sitting on light does light travel ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does one sit on light?

In fact no person can travel at the speed of light, so the question itself is a contradiction. :)

Wicked Wildie said:
a person sitting on light

Such a person is impossible.

Even leaving out material people or objects, there is no inertial reference frame in which a light beam/ray/photon is at rest, so it's meaningless (in the context of relativity theory) to ask what things "look like" from that point of view.

I'm nt saying to sit on it.. Jst have light as your frame of reference...

and when u say nothing can travel at speed of light, my dear friend, we've neutrinos having speed greater than that of light. einstein's theory is on the verge of being proved wrong

Matterwave said:
How does one sit on light?

In fact no person can travel at the speed of light, so the question itself is a contradiction. :)

You shouldn't be in theoretical physics if you make statements like that.

Wicked Wildie said:
and when u say nothing can travel at speed of light, my dear friend, we've neutrinos having speed greater than that of light. einstein's theory is on the verge of being proved wrong

You don't follow scientific news. That was a technical problem leading to more errors in the measurements and neutrinos weren't moving faster than light.

TheScienceOrca said:
You shouldn't be in theoretical physics if you make statements like that.

You mean theoretical physics is where you can say anything contradictory?!
Imagine two physicists at rest relative to each other standing far from each other. One of them shines a laser at the other one which the other one surely receives. Now imagine another physicist passing by at the speed of light in the opposite direction to the direction of motion of the laser pulse. According to him, the pulse never reaches the other guy. But the fact that the pulse reaches the other guy or not shouldn't depend on the frame of reference. So no one can go at the speed of light(or faster!).

About a photon's frame, according to one of the SR's postulates, light moves with speed c in vacuum relative to any inertial frame. Now if we assume that we can associate to light, an inertial frame, a frame which light is at rest with respect to it, the postulate says that light should go at speed c relative to it. CONTRADICTION!

Last edited:
Shyan said:
Imagine two physicists at rest relative to each other standing far from each other. One of them shines a laser at the other one which the other one surely receives. Now imagine another physicist passing by at the speed of light in the opposite direction to the direction of motion of the laser pulse. According to him, the pulse never reaches the other guy. But the fact that the pulse reaches the other guy or not shouldn't depend on the frame of reference. So no one can go at the speed of light(or faster!).CONTRADICTION!

This sounds like it might be a useful argument. Unfortunately I can't make any sense of it, can you confirm that you have said exactly what you mean?

m4r35n357 said:
This sounds like it might be a useful argument. Unfortunately I can't make any sense of it, can you confirm that you have said exactly what you mean?

Yes.
Where is the first place that you feel its hazy? I mean, as you read, there should be somewhere that you start to feel you don't understand it. Where is that place?

Shyan said:
Yes.
Where is the first place that you feel its hazy? I mean, as you read, there should be somewhere that you start to feel you don't understand it. Where is that place?

Sort of the third sentence (passing by whom? both, I suppose), but definitely the fourth (there are three guys, who is the "other" guy?). By the fifth sentence I am just reading words without understanding them.

Could you possibly draw a diagram?

m4r35n357 said:
Sort of the third sentence (passing by whom? both, I suppose), but definitely the fourth (there are three guys, who is the "other" guy?). By the fifth sentence I am just reading words without understanding them.

Could you possibly draw a diagram?

Oh...right...I should explain more clearly.
There are two stationary physicists S1 and S2 located far from each other. And there is a third physicist moving at the speed of light in a straight line connecting S2 and S1, from S2 to S1, who we call M.
S1 shines a laser at S2 which, by experience, we know S2 receives.
But in the frame of M, the laser pulse doesn't reach S2.
But the fact that the laser pulse reaches S2 or not shouldn't depend on the frame of reference.

Last edited:
m4r35n357 said:
... I am just reading words without understanding them.

Yeah, I believe so. I was trying to understand what he said above but I couldn't. There were just words put together in a meaningless way. @Shyan please try to write in proper English.

Shyan said:
Oh...right...I should explain more clearly.
There are two stationary physicists S1 and S2 located far from each other. And there is a third physicist moving at the speed of light in a straight line connecting S2 and S1, from S2 to S1, who we call M.
S1 shines a laser at S2 which, by experience, we know S2 receives.
But in the frame of M, the laser pulse doesn't reach S2.
But the fact that the laser pulse reaches S2 or not shouldn't depend on the frame of reference.

OK, thanks for clarifying, I understand the layout now. I do have another question though; how does M detect whether S2 receives the pulse?

I think the easiest way to see that rest frame is impossible, is by looking at the photon that satisfies [itex]E=pc[/itex] or [itex]m=0[/itex],
Now a rest frame for the photon ([itex]p=0[/itex]) would also imply [itex]E=0[/itex]. So you have a massless, no-energy, no-momentum particle? That's nothingness.

Last edited:
Wicked Wildie said:
I'm nt saying to sit on it.. Jst have light as your frame of reference...
There's no inertial frame of reference that's comoving with light, in special relativity or general relativity (see the FAQ that Nugatory linked to), so what theory would you like us to use to answer your question?

Wicked Wildie said:
If you keep making claims like that, you will find that we have very little tolerance for them in this forum.

As for M, that's not even possible... M is causally disconnected from S2... no signal sent from S2's worldlines can reach M...no?

Last edited:
Yeah, Now that I think, I myself doubt that argument. But I read it in a book which I don't remember what book was it right now and I can't find it.

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century to explain the relationship between space and time. It has two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity.

2. How is the theory of relativity relative?

The theory of relativity is relative in the sense that it describes how measurements of time and space can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. This means that there is no absolute or fixed frame of reference in the universe.

3. What evidence supports the theory of relativity?

There are several experiments and observations that support the theory of relativity, including the famous Eddington experiment which showed the bending of light near a massive object, and the precision of GPS technology which takes into account the effects of relativity on time measurements.

4. Is the theory of relativity still relevant today?

Yes, the theory of relativity is still relevant and widely accepted in the scientific community. It has been extensively tested and has accurately predicted numerous phenomena, such as the existence of black holes and the bending of light in gravitational fields.

5. Can the theory of relativity be proven wrong?

As with any scientific theory, the theory of relativity can be revised or even disproven if new evidence or observations contradict its predictions. However, it has been extensively tested and has yet to be proven wrong, making it one of the most successful and well-supported theories in physics.