Is There a CAD Benchmarking Tool for Virtual Desktop Performance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a benchmarking tool to measure 3D graphics performance for a potential bid on a Virtualized CAD Workstation environment. The speaker is looking for a software that can accurately measure quad faces, screen resolution, and FPS. A website, cadalyst.com, is recommended as a potential source for a benchmark test specific to AutoCAD.
Oryon
Hey guys,
Long term lurker here in PF, first time posting though, so here goes :)

I am working to help with a bid from an RFP for a Virtualized CAD Workstation environment on VMware Horizon (view). I am on the architectural side of things, not sales. One of the requirements is the ability to show a benchmark of the 3D graphics performance on the virtual Desktop. While I know our performance will be well above their requirements, I have to prove it! So, with that said, I need some kind of software to provide a benchmark. Most 3D graphics benchmarking tools are geared towards gaming, which will not be acceptable to our customer. Anyone know of anything I can use? Ideally, having the ability to know the number of quad faces, along with screen rez, and getting an FPS result...

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org

1. What is a CAD Benchmarking utility?

A CAD Benchmarking utility is a software tool used to measure and compare the performance of different computer-aided design (CAD) software programs. It typically runs a series of tests on a specific system configuration to assess its speed, accuracy, and overall efficiency.

2. How does a CAD Benchmarking utility work?

The utility works by running a series of standardized tests on a computer system that is equipped with different CAD software programs. These tests are designed to simulate real-world design tasks and measure the performance of each software program in terms of speed, accuracy, and other key metrics.

3. Why is CAD Benchmarking important?

CAD Benchmarking is important because it allows users to objectively compare the performance of different CAD software programs on a specific system configuration. This can help users make informed decisions about which software programs are best suited for their specific needs and optimize their workflow.

4. Can CAD Benchmarking be used for all types of CAD software?

Yes, CAD Benchmarking can be used for all types of CAD software, including 2D and 3D design programs. However, the specific tests and metrics used may vary depending on the type of software being benchmarked.

5. Are there any limitations to CAD Benchmarking?

There are some limitations to CAD Benchmarking, as it only measures the performance of CAD software on a specific system configuration. It may not accurately reflect the performance on different hardware or operating systems. Additionally, benchmarking results may also be affected by external factors such as system resources and background processes.