Is There a Common Pattern in Einstein Crosses?

In summary, the conversation discusses an unusual pattern of four images known as Einstein crosses, which show a symmetrical cross shape due to the highly elongated shape of the galaxy doing the lensing. The conversation also mentions Fermat's principle and the possibility of two merging galaxies forming an ellipse with two super-massive black holes as the cause of the cross pattern. There is also a discussion about the orientation of the cross and the behavior of light passing through a spherically symmetric lens.
Buckethead
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
common pattern emerges from Einstein Cross
This is probably just a coincidence, but I happened to notice while looking at Einstein crosses an unusual pattern common to these four images. I was looking for more but it turns out there may not be as many crosses as I originally thought. Must be rare. The pattern is that of the 4 background objects (quasar, supernova) the line connecting two of them cross the center, while the line connecting the other two are offset from the center. Also, I'm fascinated by the symmetry of the two pairs in the images. The first observation is likely a fluke but the symmetry is what kind of gets me. For what must be an obviously distorted lens, it's a bit strange that there would be not only symmetry of one pair, but of two pair! In other words, it would be much more likely to see a two object image around the center (not even pairs, but just in two random locations) than to see two perfectly symmetrical pairs. Comments?

Attachments

• J2211-0350.jpg
    J2211-0350.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 143
  • PW-2015-03-05-Commissariat-supernovae.jpg
    PW-2015-03-05-Commissariat-supernovae.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 119
  • QSO 2237+0305.jpg
    QSO 2237+0305.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Supernova_iPTF_16geu_480px.jpg
    Supernova_iPTF_16geu_480px.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 137
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Fermat’s principle says stationary angles as for time to arrive come true. I am not qualified to tell more but I suppose four cross points represent maximum, minimum and two inflection points.

anuttarasammyak said:
Fermat’s principle says stationary angles as for time to arrive come true. I am not qualified to tell more but I suppose four cross points represent maximum, minimum and two inflection points.
What selects the orientation of the cross? I might have expected a ring (??).

sophiecentaur said:
What selects the orientation of the cross? I might have expected a ring (??).
The Wikipedia page on Einstein crosses notes that it's due to the highly elongated shape of the galaxy doing the lensing.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur
Good answer!

An elliptic lens has two foci. Photons from one distant galaxy passing through the gravitational lens of two merging galaxies forming an ellipse with a super-massive black hole at each focus could produce two of the points of the cross. What could produce the other two? Another dual black hole elliptical galaxy with a major axis perpendicular to the first? Do subsequent observations of an Einstein Cross show any motion of the foci as the galaxies merge?

Psnarf said:
An elliptic lens has two foci. Photons from one distant galaxy passing through the gravitational lens of two merging galaxies forming an ellipse with a super-massive black hole at each focus could produce two of the points of the cross.
You get two points from a spherically symmetric lens. Essentially this comes from light passing "over" and "under" the lens. They will smear into a ring as the source passes behind the lens. This behaviour has to happen because orbits about a spherically symmetric mass must lie in a plane, and it must be the plane defined by the source, the lens, and the observer. This plane is only non-unique when all three are colinear.

If the lens is non-symmetric, apparently you can get a cross pattern. I don't know any way to deduce this without numerical modelling, but I can't see why two interacting elongated sources would be necessary.

Last edited:

What is the Einstein Cross common pattern?

The Einstein Cross common pattern refers to a phenomenon in which a distant object, such as a galaxy or quasar, is gravitationally lensed by a closer object, producing four images of the distant object arranged in a cross-like pattern.

How does the Einstein Cross common pattern occur?

The Einstein Cross common pattern occurs due to the gravitational lensing effect, which is caused by the bending of light around massive objects. In this case, the light from the distant object is bent by the gravitational pull of the closer object, creating multiple images of the distant object.

What is the significance of the Einstein Cross common pattern?

The Einstein Cross common pattern is significant because it provides evidence for the theory of general relativity, which was proposed by Albert Einstein. It also allows scientists to study the properties of both the distant and closer objects, such as their mass and distribution of dark matter.

How rare is the Einstein Cross common pattern?

The Einstein Cross common pattern is relatively rare, as it requires a precise alignment of the two objects and the observer on Earth. It is estimated that only about 1% of all quasars exhibit this pattern.

Can the Einstein Cross common pattern be observed with the naked eye?

No, the Einstein Cross common pattern is not visible to the naked eye. It can only be observed using powerful telescopes and advanced imaging techniques.