Is there a formula for combining heat capacities of liquids and gases?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the combination of heat capacities for different substances, specifically oil, water, and gas. The equation provided by Howy is being evaluated and refined, with the suggestion to calculate the mass of each component and multiply it by the specific heat capacity before summing the results for a more accurate measurement of the system's heat capacity. Clarifications are made on the definitions and units used in the equation, leading to a final equation for determining the total heat capacity.
Howy
Hi,
I was woindering if anyone can help me on a problem I have been stuck on for a while now.

I have an equation to combine the heat capcity of oil and water, but I can't find an equation anywhere that combines the heat capacities for water oil and gas.

All i have is CpL = (qo(qo+qw))Cpo+(1-(qo/(qo+qw))Cpw

Does anyone know a formula for combing heat capacity of liquids and gases

Thanks, Howy

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Howy, welcome to PF. This equation should work well for liquid-gas combinations too. It's simply saying the heat capacity contributions are independent and combined according to the (atomic) fraction of each material.

For a two-phase solution of water and steam, say at 100 degrees C, the heat capacity should include the heat of vaporization.
Bob S

Ah, good catch. I was assuming no phase change (which would apply to oil, water, and air around room temperature). Including a phase change, the heat capacity could be infinite for a solution combining a liquid with its own vapor (at constant pressure), for example. Howy, can you tell us what the gas is?

Wow,

Thanks for the hasty reply guys. Probably best to assume the following:

Water (pure)
Oil with a SG of 0.88 and a Cp of 1.7585 kj/kg.K
Gas (natural) with a Sg of 0.7 and a Cp of 5.5265 kj/kg.K

Last edited:
OK, for this particular system at thermal equilibrium, I don't see a problem with calculating the mass of each component and multiplying it by the material's specific heat capacity, and summing the results to estimate the system's heat capacity.

so do you think the following is acceptable?

Cp = (qo/qt)Cpo + (qw/qt)Cpw +(qg/qt)Cpg

What are the definition and units of the q's?

qo = quantity of oil being added
qw = quantity of water being added
qg = quantity of gas being added
qt = quantity of mixture

providing units are all the same i would have thought the units aren't important as it just a ratio

OK, thanks for the clarification on definitions. This equation is going to give you a specific heat capacity, which isn't really meaningful, since the system isn't homogeneous. (For example, a sample random kilogram might contain all oil, all water, a mixture also containing some gas, etc.) It would be better to multiply the mass of each component by that material's specific heat capacity, then sum the results to obtain the system heat capacity (in J/K). Does this make sense?

My understanding is, first work out each phase's mass flow rate

Wo = (densityofoil*qo)
Ww = (densityofwate*qw)
Wg = (densityofgas*qg)
WTotal = Wo + Ww + Wg

Then work out the ratio,

CpTotal = (Wo/WTotal)*Cpo + (Ww/WTotal)*Cpw + (Wg/WTotal)*Cpg

Related to Is there a formula for combining heat capacities of liquids and gases?

What is two-phase heat capacity?

Two-phase heat capacity refers to the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance from its solid phase to its liquid phase, or from its liquid phase to its gaseous phase. It takes into account the energy required for the phase change, as well as the energy needed to increase the temperature within the phase.

Why is two-phase heat capacity important in scientific research?

Understanding the two-phase heat capacity of a substance is essential in many fields of scientific research, such as thermodynamics, materials science, and chemical engineering. It allows scientists to accurately predict the behavior of substances during phase changes, which is crucial for designing and optimizing various industrial processes.

How is two-phase heat capacity measured?

Two-phase heat capacity can be measured using various techniques, including differential scanning calorimetry, heat flow calorimetry, and isothermal microcalorimetry. These methods involve applying controlled amounts of heat to a substance and measuring the resulting changes in temperature and energy.

What factors affect the two-phase heat capacity of a substance?

The two-phase heat capacity of a substance is influenced by several factors, including its chemical composition, pressure, and temperature. It can also vary depending on the specific phase transition being studied, such as melting, boiling, or sublimation.

How can the knowledge of two-phase heat capacity be applied in real-world situations?

The understanding of two-phase heat capacity has many practical applications, such as in the design of refrigeration systems, thermal energy storage systems, and heat exchangers. It is also crucial in the development of new materials and processes, such as phase change materials for energy storage and thermal management in buildings and vehicles.