Is There a Hidden Pattern in This Sequence of Numbers?

In summary: Yeah, that's on purpose to keep down the amount of spam posts by newbies. Well, since the premise for this thread turned out to be false, and since anybody who figures out the problem would probably just submit it to the website instead of posting it here, I'll go ahead and close this thread now.
jrrunge98
TL;DR Summary
I have been trying to find a pattern in this sequence of numbers:
72.1, 25.2, 35.1, 58.3, 164.14, 99.8, 23.1, 51.5, 13.2
I have been trying to find a pattern in this sequence of numbers:
72.1, 25.2, 35.1, 58.3, 164.14, 99.8, 23.1, 51.5, 13.2
I have tried every method I can think of like finding the mean, putting them in numerical order, trying to see if the differences between each number has any correlation (It might but I am not sure) and plotting them on a graph. The solution might not be a mathematical one.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Where did these numbers come from?

Likes berkeman
These numbers comprise an unsolved puzzle from this page.

• Informative
Likes Einstein44, Ibix, PeroK and 1 other person
Petek said:
These numbers comprise an unsolved puzzle from this page.
So you're saying that if we figure it out, we should not tell the OP and we should submit the solution ourself? Got it, thanks for the tip! :wink:

• Haha
Likes Einstein44 and Ibix
berkeman said:
So you're saying that if we figure it out, we should not tell the OP and we should submit the solution ourself? Got it, thanks for the tip! :wink:
Go ahead! If it gets more attention for the book, then I have done my job.

jrrunge98 said:
Go ahead! If it gets more attention for the book, then I have done my job.
What job? Are you associated with the book and the website somehow?

berkeman said:
What job? Are you associated with the book and the website somehow?
No but I love the book and the hunt am trying to keep it alive since it seems to be losing popularity. Granted, I probably should have stated that but it didn't occur to me at the time of writing. I've been posting similar threads on other sites as well to try and spark interest. For some reason I couldn't embed the books link here. Its my first time using the website.

jrrunge98 said:
For some reason I couldn't embed the books link here. Its my first time using the website.
Yeah, that's on purpose to keep down the amount of spam posts by newbies. Well, since the premise for this thread turned out to be false, and since anybody who figures out the problem would probably just submit it to the website instead of posting it here, I'll go ahead and close this thread now.

Likes SammyS and Mark44

1. What is a pattern in numbers?

A pattern in numbers is a sequence of numbers that follows a specific rule or trend. It can be observed in various mathematical concepts, such as arithmetic and geometric sequences, and can also be found in real-life situations.

2. How can patterns in numbers be useful?

Patterns in numbers can help us make predictions and solve problems more efficiently. By identifying a pattern, we can extend the sequence and determine the next numbers in the sequence. This can be particularly helpful in financial and scientific research.

3. Are there different types of patterns in numbers?

Yes, there are various types of patterns in numbers, including repeating patterns, increasing or decreasing patterns, and random patterns. Each type of pattern can be identified and analyzed using different mathematical techniques.

4. Can patterns in numbers be found in nature?

Yes, patterns in numbers can be found in nature, such as the Fibonacci sequence in sunflower seeds and the Golden Ratio in seashells. These patterns can help us understand and appreciate the beauty and complexity of the natural world.

5. How can we use patterns in numbers to make predictions?

By analyzing a pattern in numbers, we can make predictions about future values in the sequence. This can be done through various methods, such as using algebraic equations or creating a graph to visualize the pattern. However, it's important to note that these predictions are not always accurate and can be affected by external factors.