Tesla's Vortex (Mathologer Coding Competition)

In summary, Mathologer made a cool video recently about "Tesla's Vortex", or rather a cool method of generating patterns using repeated multiplication and modulus to generate repeating sequences, and then plotting those sequences around a circle. This creates cardiods and other related patterns, a different one for each multiplier and modulus parameter. They asked viewers to make a web app for generating these patterns as a coding challenge.
Jarvis323
Mathologer made a cool video recently about "Tesla's Vortex", or rather a cool method of generating patterns using repeated multiplication and modulus to generate repeating sequences, and then plotting those sequences around a circle. This creates cardiods and other related patterns, a different one for each multiplier and modulus parameter. They asked viewers to make a web app for generating these patterns as a coding challenge.

Anyway, so I made one and made a bunch of patterns. So I was wondering if anyone has ideas for how to make improvements or add features for different coloring or rendering. I tried coloring edges by length, but it doesn't look like in the video, and I think the images in the video are not actually coloring edges by length? Unless maybe the edges were also rendered in sorted order by length so that you cannot see the long edges crossing crossing the diameter (only in the center).

t2m8948.png

t943m65933.png

I was also messing around with post processing apply mean curvature smoothing and then sharpening, which has a cool effect. Anyone with more advanced mathematical knowledge know if there is any interesting mathematical interpretation of those results?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_curvature

t652 m105588.png

t652m105588.png

t652m3917.png

Anyone interested in the coding challenge and want some pointers feel free to ask, and also post any cool patterns you generate or comments on the mathematics.

Likes jedishrfu and Drakkith
Technology news on Phys.org
Nice work! You could port your program to the Processing environment too. There's a javascript variant of Processing called p5js.org .

Also check Rosettacode.org to see if there are any solutions on site, if not you could donate your code to the cause.

Likes Jarvis323
jedishrfu said:
Nice work! You could port your program to the Processing environment too. There's a javascript variant of Processing called p5js.org .

Also check Rosettacode.org to see if there are any solutions on site, if not you could donate your code to the cause.
Thanks. It's currently implemented in Javascript with WebGL. I might share the code if I get time to clean it up a little.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is Tesla's Vortex (Mathologer Coding Competition)?

Tesla's Vortex is a coding competition organized by the YouTube channel Mathologer, where participants are challenged to create a program that can generate and visualize a mathematical object called the "Tesla's Vortex".

2. What is the purpose of the competition?

The purpose of the competition is to promote mathematical exploration and programming skills by challenging participants to create a program that can generate and visualize the complex and intriguing "Tesla's Vortex". It also aims to engage and inspire individuals who are interested in both mathematics and computer science.

3. What is the "Tesla's Vortex" and why is it significant?

The "Tesla's Vortex" is a mathematical object discovered by the famous scientist and inventor Nikola Tesla. It is a complex and beautiful pattern formed by a series of interconnected circles and lines. Its significance lies in its unique properties and the challenge it poses for mathematicians and programmers to understand and recreate it.

4. Who can participate in the competition?

The competition is open to anyone who is interested in mathematics and programming. There are no age or location restrictions. Participants can join individually or as a team.

5. What are the criteria for judging the competition?

The submissions will be judged based on their accuracy in generating the "Tesla's Vortex" pattern, visual appeal, creativity, and efficiency of the code. The judges will also consider the explanation and documentation provided by the participants.