Is there a magnetic field in a capacitor during leakage or discharge?

In summary: In a parallel plate capacitor, if there is a leak in the charging or discharging process, then there will be a magnetic field between the plates. This field is caused by the changing electric field and displacement current. According to Maxwell's equations, the electric flux and displacement current are two contributions to the magnetic field. So, the magnetic field will be different depending on the amount of charge leakage.
Anurag00
When capacitor is leaking ie, when charge is leaking or when it is discharging then will there be any magnetic field between the parallel plates of capcitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at maxwell's equations. what are the 2 contributions to the magnetic field?

Well the electric field changes and so there will be an electric flux which varies accordingly and so due this there will be displacement current. But my physics teacher gave a question in which there was charge leakage in the parallel plate capacitor and gave information about the dimensions of capacitor and charge stored and about the rate of charge leak. But when i applied the maxwell theory then my teacher gave us the answers which gave zero to be the correct answer... Thats why i am confused.

So, there is displacement current because the electric field changes and there is the leakage current. you should be able to work out what the magnetic field should be. It seems your teacher also did this.
If you want to compute the magnetic field everywhere between the plates, you will have to assume the leakage is the same everywhere.

Likes berkeman
willem2 said:
So, there is displacement current because the electric field changes and there is the leakage current. you should be able to work out what the magnetic field should be. It seems your teacher also did this.
If you want to compute the magnetic field everywhere between the plates, you will have to assume the leakage is the same everywhere.
But from here nothing comes to my mind. I am almost clueless from here.

Anurag00 said:
then my teacher gave us the answers which gave zero to be the correct answer...
Can you show us the calculation that your teacher did to conclude that it is zero?

Anurag00 said:
But from here nothing comes to my mind. I am almost clueless from here.

You must have seen an equation where this displacement current appears. You should be able to find everything what is needed to work out the displacement current, with what you already know about capacitors.

berkeman said:
Can you show us the calculation that your teacher did to conclude that it is zero?
He just gave the answer verbally, not the solution.

willem2 said:
You must have seen an equation where this displacement current appears. You should be able to find everything what is needed to work out the displacement current, with what you already know about capacitors.
Let me try again.

Related to Is there a magnetic field in a capacitor during leakage or discharge?

1. What is a magnetic field in a capacitor?

A magnetic field in a capacitor is a region in space where magnetic forces are present due to the movement of charges in the capacitor's electric field.

2. How is a magnetic field generated in a capacitor?

A magnetic field is generated in a capacitor when charges flow through the capacitor's conducting plates, creating a circulating current. This current produces a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the electric field between the plates.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a capacitor?

The direction of the magnetic field in a capacitor is perpendicular to the electric field and depends on the direction of the current flowing through the plates. It follows the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the current and the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field affect the capacitor's operation?

The magnetic field in a capacitor can affect its operation in a number of ways. It can cause power losses due to eddy currents, impact the capacitance and voltage rating of the capacitor, and introduce noise in electronic circuits.

5. Can a capacitor be designed to control the magnetic field?

Yes, a capacitor's magnetic field can be controlled by altering its design. For example, using a ferromagnetic material in the capacitor's plates can concentrate the magnetic field, or using a coaxial or solenoid capacitor design can reduce the effects of the magnetic field on the capacitor's operation.