Is There a Preferred Axis in the Cosmic Radiation Anisotropy?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary, Kate Land and Joao Magueijo examine previous claims for a preferred axis in the cosmic radiation anisotropy and find that the alignment of multipoles up to l = 5 rejects statistical isotropy with a probability in excess of 99.9%. They suggest that this could be due to anisotropic expansion caused by cosmic strings or walls. However, another paper by L. Perivolaropoulos shows that cosmic strings have been ruled out as a primary source of primordial fluctuations and may serve as constraints for theories like Brane inflation. Personal opinions also doubt the existence of cosmic strings, and current data favors the inflationary scenario for explaining the formation of galaxies.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0502237
The axis of evil
Kate Land and Jo˜ao Magueijo
Theoretical Physics Group, Imperial College, Prince Consort Road, London SW7 2BZ, UK
(Dated: Feb 11, 2005)
We examine previous claims for a preferred axis at (b, l)  (60,-100) in the cosmic radiation anisotropy, by generalizing the concept of multipole planarity to any shape preference (a concept we define mathematically). Contrary to earlier claims, we find that the amount of power concentrated
in planar modes for l = 2, 3 is not inconsistent with isotropy and Gaussianity. The multipoles’ alignment, however, is indeed anomalous, and extends up to l = 5 rejecting statistical isotropy with a probability in excess of 99.9%. There is also an uncanny correlation of azimuthal phases between
l = 3 and l = 5. We are unable to blame these effects on foreground contamination or large-scale systematic errors. We show how this reappraisal may be crucial in identifying the theoretical model
behind the anomaly

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The text mentions that one of the possible explanations for the "axis of evil" could be anisotropic expansion. I think that anisotropic expansion means that the rate of expansion is not the same in all directions, but instead there are directions in which the Universe is expanding faster. Then Kate and Joao say that anisotropic expansion can be due to the effects of strings (cosmic strings, those very large topological deffects, not the tiny strings of string theory), or also be due to walls (I think that they mean domain walls). How can cosmic strings explain anisotropic expansion? Cosmic strings are known to exert repulsive gravity, but I can't fathom how could them cause anisotropic expansion

Last edited:
I posted a link some time ago that threw doubt about cosmic strings
existence, I am not sure if they are still in vogue, maybe they are.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0501590
The Rise and Fall of the Cosmic String Theory for Cosmological
Perturbations
L. Perivolaropoulosa*
aDivision of Theoretical Physics, Department of Physics,
University of Ioannina, 451 10 Ioannina, Greece
The cosmic string theory for cosmological fluctuations is a good example of healthy scientific progress in cosmology. It is a well defined physically motivated model that has been tested by cosmological observations and
has been ruled out as a primary source of primordial fluctuations. Until about fifteen years ago, the cosmic string theory of cosmological perturbations provided one of the two physically motivated candidate theories for the
generation of primordial perturbations. The cosmological data that appeared during the last decade have been compared with the well defined predictions of the theory and have ruled out cosmic strings as a primary source
of primordial cosmological perturbations. Since cosmic strings are predicted to form after inflation in a wide range of microphysical theories including (supersymmetric and fundamental string theories) their observational
bounds may serve a source of serious constraints for these theories. This is a pedagogical review of the historical development, the main predictions of the cosmic string theory and the constraints that have been imposed on it
by cosmological observations. Recent lensing events that could be attributed to lighter cosmic strings are also discussed.
I posted it in LQG STRINGS.

Last edited:
wolram said:
I posted a link some time ago that threw doubt about cosmic strings
existence, I am not sure if they are still in vogue, maybe they are.

There's a theory called Brane inflation in which cosmic strings are copiously produced during the collision of the two branes, according to this paper
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0501099

Though, in my personal opinion, cosmic strings are of very doubtable existence. Maybe you know that there are two competing theories to explain the seeds that prompted the formation of galaxies. One is the inflationary scenario, the other postulates that the seeds were induced by topological deffects (e.g. cosmic strings). All the WMAP data seems to favour inflation

1. What is the "Axis of Evil" theory proposed by Magueijo?

The "Axis of Evil" is a cosmological theory proposed by physicist Joao Magueijo in 2005. It suggests that the universe is not isotropic, or uniform in all directions, as previously believed. Instead, there are preferred directions in the universe that are responsible for the observed irregularities in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. What evidence supports the "Axis of Evil" theory?

One major piece of evidence is the observed alignment of the quadrupole and octupole moments of the cosmic microwave background radiation. These are two of the lowest-order multipole moments that describe the anisotropy, or unevenness, of the radiation. The alignment of these moments is highly unlikely to occur by chance and suggests the existence of preferred directions in the universe.

3. How does the "Axis of Evil" theory challenge the standard model of cosmology?

The standard model of cosmology, known as the Lambda-CDM model, assumes that the universe is isotropic and homogeneous on a large scale. However, the "Axis of Evil" theory suggests that this may not be the case. If proven true, it would require a significant revision of the standard model and our understanding of the universe.

4. What is the current status of the "Axis of Evil" theory?

The "Axis of Evil" theory is still a topic of debate among scientists. While some studies have supported the idea of preferred directions in the universe, others have found conflicting evidence. More research and data are needed to fully understand the implications of this theory and its validity.

5. How does the "Axis of Evil" theory relate to the concept of cosmic inflation?

Cosmic inflation is a theory that proposes a rapid expansion of the universe in the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang. The "Axis of Evil" theory challenges this idea by suggesting that the universe may not be isotropic, as predicted by inflation. However, some researchers have proposed modifications to the inflation theory that could potentially account for the observed anisotropy.