Is there a solution for auto-guiding issues with a Celestron CGEM telescope?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter NFuller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the autoguider on the telescope seems to be oscillating back and forth, and the responsiveness settings seem to be causing the problem. The guider might be flexure-related, but it's possible to improve things by adjusting the settings.
So, I have a persistent problem when trying to use auto-guiding. The telescope likes to oscillate back and forth in DEC and sometimes in RA. I originally assumed my mount just wasn't very good but after upgrading to a celestron CGEM, the problem is still there, although not as bad.

The guider is an off-axis guider so I don't think it is a flexure issue. I use TheSkyX for guiding and imaging. I'm imaging at a somewhat long focal length of 1.4m, but I would still expect the auto-guiding to not smear the stars around. I also try to make sure my alignment is good before imaging by performing a drift alignment procedure.

I have tried to use the antibacklash controls on my mount and TheSkyX but it doesn't seem to help much. Has anyone else dealt with such problems and have any advice for improvements I can make?

Likes russ_watters
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I have an autoguiding problem that is probably flexure, but still might be able to help...

I have an Orion Atlas and am currently guiding with an Orion ED80/DMK and imaging with an ES127/DSI.

Taking a whack at it, I'm going to guess you are trying to fight fire with fire and have your responsiveness settings too high. Try restoring defaults or slowing everything down (except maybe guide camera exposure rate: 2-5 per second). If that doesn't work, try PHD Guiding. It gives me great results on a mount inferior to yours.

Likes NFuller
russ_watters said:
your responsiveness settings too high
Ok, I'll look into adjusting those.
russ_watters said:
(except maybe guide camera exposure rate: 2-5 per second)
Yes, I usually expose at a rate of 4 seconds.
russ_watters said:
try PHD Guiding
I used PHD guiding with my old mount and upgraded to TheSkyX because it seemed to do a better job but maybe with the new mount, PHD will perform better. Thanks for the advice.

1. What is auto-guiding and how does it work?

Auto-guiding is a technique used in astronomy to keep a telescope pointed accurately at a celestial object. It involves using a secondary camera, called a guide camera, to continuously track a guide star and send feedback to the telescope mount to make adjustments. This ensures that the desired object stays in the field of view for extended periods of time, allowing for longer exposures and better quality images.

2. Do I need a guide camera to use auto-guiding?

Yes, a guide camera is necessary for auto-guiding. It is a separate camera from the one used for imaging, and its sole purpose is to track a guide star and provide feedback to the telescope mount. However, some modern telescopes have built-in auto-guiding capabilities and do not require a separate guide camera.

3. How accurate is auto-guiding?

The accuracy of auto-guiding depends on various factors such as the quality of the guiding equipment, the stability of the mount, and the atmospheric conditions. In general, auto-guiding can achieve sub-arcsecond accuracy, which is crucial for capturing high-quality images of faint and distant objects.

4. Can I use auto-guiding for all types of astrophotography?

Yes, auto-guiding can be used for all types of astrophotography, including deep-sky imaging, planetary imaging, and even time-lapse photography. It is especially useful for capturing long-exposure images of faint objects, but it can also be used for short-exposure imaging to improve overall image sharpness.

5. How do I set up auto-guiding for my telescope?

The specific setup process for auto-guiding may vary depending on the equipment you are using. However, in general, you will need to connect your guide camera to your telescope mount, select a suitable guide star, and calibrate the guiding software. It is recommended to consult the user manual or seek guidance from experienced astrophotographers for specific instructions.