Is there a term for the vertical elongation of a planet?

In summary, there is a term for the vertical elongation of a planet, which is known as prolateness. However, in the context of astronomy, elongation refers to the angular distance of a planet from the sun, not a physical feature of the planet itself. Therefore, the formula x = elongation * sin(theta) can be used to calculate the vertical elongation of a planet, assuming it lies on the ecliptic.
dotancohen
Is there a term for the vertical elongation of a planet? This would be the angular distance above the horizon that a planet appears at the instant the sun sets, or in mathematical terms it would be:

x=elongation
theta=angle between the ecliptic and the horizon

"vertical elongation" = x * sin(theta)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Note that the formula assumes that the planet actually lies on the ecliptic, which of course is rarely the case. But I use the formula to illustrate.

Yes indeed, such a word exists. If a sphere is elongated along its semi-minor axis (vertically, in this case), then it is known as a prolate spheroid. This is opposed to a oblate spheroid, in which the sphere is elongated at its equator.

So to answer your question: "prolateness", I suppose would work. And the dictionary confirms that it is a word.

Thanks, SpiffyKavu, but I think that we are using different definitions of "elongation". I am using "elongation" in the sense of angular distance from the sun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elongation_(astronomy)

I do not refer to a physical feature of the planet's material, but rather the planet's position in the sky relative to the sun. I apologize, I thought that the definition would be clear here from the context. In fact, I did not even think of the other definition.

I can confirm that there is indeed a term for the vertical elongation of a planet. It is known as the "vertical altitude" or "vertical distance" and is measured in degrees above the horizon. This term is commonly used in astronomy and is an important factor in determining the position and visibility of a planet in the sky. It is calculated using the formula mentioned above, where x represents the elongation and theta represents the angle between the ecliptic and the horizon. I hope this clarifies the concept of vertical elongation for you.

1. What is the definition of vertical elongation?

Vertical elongation refers to the difference in size between a planet's equatorial and polar diameters. It is also known as the flattening or oblateness of a planet.

2. Is there a specific term for the vertical elongation of a planet?

Yes, the vertical elongation of a planet is commonly referred to as its "oblateness" or "flattening".

3. How is the vertical elongation of a planet measured?

The vertical elongation of a planet is typically measured using its equatorial and polar diameters. The difference between these two measurements is then divided by the equatorial diameter to determine the planet's flattening or oblateness.

4. What causes a planet to have a large vertical elongation?

The shape and size of a planet is influenced by a number of factors, including its rotation rate, internal structure, and gravitational forces from other celestial bodies. A planet's large vertical elongation may be attributed to any combination of these factors.

5. Can a planet's vertical elongation change over time?

Yes, a planet's vertical elongation can change over time due to various factors such as tectonic activity, changes in rotation rate, and external forces from other celestial bodies. However, these changes are typically very gradual and may not be noticeable within a human lifetime.