Is there a way to make a Browser window stop jumping around?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Window
In summary: I checked, and pop-ups are disabled for that Chrome installation. I guess the mobile fix hasn't made it into the desktop/laptop edition yet...Are then any Browsers or Browser options that will keep things pinned as more content is added?Other than that, I can't see how a browser can solve this problem.
berkeman
Mentor
Some websites with a lot of advertisements (like news websites) jump all over the place when you first click into them, because it seems like the Browser window is partially painted, and then more pieces are placed into the window moving other parts around and down. Depending on the website and my connection speed, this can take just a second, or up to several seconds before the dang window image settles down.

Are then any Browsers or Browser options that will keep things pinned as more content is added? It's pretty annoying to click into a website and try to click on a link while it is getting moved all around by ads and other things being inserted...

Thanks. :smile:

Likes jim mcnamara and OCR
Computer science news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Some websites with a lot of advertisements (like news websites) jump all over the place when you first click into them, because it seems like the Browser window is partially painted, and then more pieces are placed into the window moving other parts around and down. Depending on the website and my connection speed, this can take just a second, or up to several seconds before the dang window image settles down.

Are then any Browsers or Browser options that will keep things pinned as more content is added? It's pretty annoying to click into a website and try to click on a link while it is getting moved all around by ads and other things being inserted...

Thanks. :smile:

The latest update of Google chrome has this fixed in mobile app.
I guess same should be for chrome on desktop, I am not sure.

Likes berkeman
Buffu said:
The latest update of Google chrome has this fixed in mobile app.
I guess same should be for chrome on desktop, I am not sure.
Thanks for the idea... :smile:

Hmm, so I fire up Chrome on my Vista PC here at work to try it out, and get this message...

https://chrome.googleblog.com/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html
Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.
o0)

I updated Chrome on my Windows 7 laptop in the lab just now, and still have the jumping issue. This website, for example, throws up an add at the top of the page a couple seconds into loading:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/

I checked, and pop-ups are disabled for that Chrome installation. I guess the mobile fix hasn't made it into the desktop/laptop edition yet...

berkeman said:
Are then any Browsers or Browser options that will keep things pinned as more content is added?
I really never mind the ads on websites until I had the same problem as you (slow connection and old computer). I had no choice but to use an ad blocker. Opera has one integrated that can be switched on/off.

Other than that, I can't see how a browser can solve this problem. A good web designer should define the width and height of every item added to avoid such problems. But with 3rd party content, often added with javascript, it seems every page is filled with surprises.:woot:

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Firefox + Adblock Plus addon seems to keep the noise down the best on most websites, but some sites are just terrible (MSN comes to mind).

Mozilla statement on XP and Vista support.

In the meantime, we strongly encourage our users to upgrade to a version of Windows that is supported by Microsoft. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and are dangerous for you to use. For planning purposes, enterprises using Firefox should consider September 2017 as the support end date for Windows XP and Vista.​

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Hmm, so I fire up Chrome on my Vista PC here at work...

Vista, a good O/S, but your work still uses it on their computers?!

StevieTNZ said:
Vista, a good O/S
I've been a user and administrator of Microsoft systems since MS-DOS 6.22, and put Windows Vista in a class with Windows ME and Windows 8: steamy piles of regret they couldn't abandon fast enough. : )

Likes jim mcnamara and Buffu
Y'all are scaring me...

berkeman said:
Y'all are scaring me...
Vista came out, I think, in 2007, which makes it right around 10 years old, and I'm guessing that the desktop is about that age, as well. Your company really should spring for some new hardware...

Likes berkeman and OCR
berkeman said:
I updated Chrome on my Windows 7 laptop in the lab just now, and still have the jumping issue. This website, for example, throws up an add at the top of the page a couple seconds into loading:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/

I checked, and pop-ups are disabled for that Chrome installation. I guess the mobile fix hasn't made it into the desktop/laptop edition yet...
Loads fine for me with Chrome+AdBlock on a Mac. Without AdBlock, an ad shifts the contents shift down once that loads, as you noted, but I don't really see any issue with that. In any case, install AdBlock and that should deal with content shifts due to loading ads.

I installed Win10 on my Mac as a virtual machine. Installing Win10 doesn't require a product key, so it is pretty much free software. It does lock you from personalization options (changing desktop image, etc.). I'm not advocating replacing the OS on your work computer. I don't know if you even have the permissions to do so nor who knows about software compatibility with your Vista stuff. I suppose you could install a Win10 VM (e.g. with VirtualBox) if you ever need to run something modern no longer supported on Vista.

1. Why does my browser window keep jumping around?

There could be several reasons for your browser window to jump around. It could be due to a malfunctioning extension, a large amount of open tabs, or an issue with the website you are currently viewing.

2. How can I stop my browser window from jumping around?

To stop your browser window from jumping around, you can try disabling any extensions that you have recently installed, closing unnecessary tabs, or clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the issue persists, try using a different browser.

3. Why does my browser window jump to the top or bottom of the page?

This could be caused by a feature called "smooth scrolling" which is designed to make scrolling through a page smoother. To disable this feature, go to your browser's settings and look for the option to turn off smooth scrolling.

4. Can a website's code cause the browser window to jump?

Yes, some websites may have code that automatically scrolls the page or redirects the browser to a different section of the page, causing the window to jump. If this is the case, there is not much you can do except contact the website's developer and report the issue.

5. How can I prevent my browser window from jumping when I click a link?

You can try opening the link in a new tab instead of the same window. This way, when you click the link, the current page will not be affected. You can also try using a different browser or clearing your browser's cache and cookies to see if that resolves the issue.