Is there a way to transform a polynomial into a vector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of isomorphism between two vector spaces, specifically the spaces V = R4 and W = {p∈P4(R) | p(0) = 0}. The conversation also explores the meaning of p(0) = 0 and its implications for the dimensions of the vector space W. The possibility of an isomorphism between the two spaces is discussed and the conversation concludes with the suggestion to group the coefficients of the polynomial into a vector and determine if it is an isomorphism.
trap101
Ok for the longest while I've been at war with polynomials and isomorphisms in linear algebra, for the death of me I always have a brain freeze when dealing with them. With that said here is my question:

Is this pair of vector spaces isomorphic? If so, find an isomorphism T: V-->W.

V= R4 , W = {p[itex]\in[/itex]P4(R) | p(0) = 0}

Here is the issue. What kind of polynomial am I examining?

It says it is the set of polynomials of degree 4 s.t p(0) = 0.

What does the p(0) = 0 mean? For example if I used the set of standard basis vectors of P4(R), what would the set of p(0) = 0 look like? All I could picture is

P(1) = 1 , p(x) = 0 , p(x2) = 0,...p(x4) = 0.

Is that the right way to look at it?

There was no specified transformation given either.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
It says it is the set of polynomials of degree 4 s.t p(0) = 0.

What does the p(0) = 0 mean?
A general polynomial of degree 4 looks like ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0##. So plug in ##x = 0## to see what ##p(0) = 0## means.

By the way, are you sure ##P_4(\mathbb{R})## means the set of polynomials of degree 4, and not the set of polynomials with degree less than or equal to 4?

jbunniii said:
A general polynomial of degree 4 looks like ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0##. So plug in ##x = 0## to see what ##p(0) = 0## means.

By the way, are you sure ##P_4(\mathbb{R})## means the set of polynomials of degree 4, and not the set of polynomials with degree less than or equal to 4?

It would be the set of degree less than or equal to 4. Ok but doing that would then mean all the polynomials get reduced down to their constant term so the dimension is 1 which is not the same as the dimension of R4 i.e not isomorphic.

trap101 said:
It would be the set of degree less than or equal to 4. Ok but doing that would then mean all the polynomials get reduced down to their constant term so the dimension is 1 which is not the same as the dimension of R4 i.e not isomorphic.
No, that's not true. What do you get when plug ##x = 0## into ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0##? Which coefficient(s) does the condition ##p(0) = 0## force to zero?

it forces all of the coefficients except for a0 to be 0's. So it would be the set of polynomials represented only by their constants. But how can I show its dimension in order to prove it's an isomorphism.

trap101 said:
it forces all of the coefficients except for a0 to be 0's.
No, that's not right. If ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0##, then ##p(0) = a_0##. So ##p(0) = 0## forces ##a_0 = 0##. All the other coefficients can be anything.

jbunniii said:
No, that's not right. If ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0##, then ##p(0) = a_0##. So ##p(0) = 0## forces ##a_0 = 0##. All the other coefficients can be anything.

unfortunately you had to give me the answer to finally see it, but I get your logic behind it now. So the set of polynomials where p(0)=0 implies that the constant is going to be 0. Now since any of the other terms can be anything, which in this case reduces the dimension of the polynomial by 1 making it the same dimension as R4 therefore it is isomorphic.

Now I have to try and find an isomprphism...which is the other thing I suck at. So I'm going to have the general form of the polynomial:

##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0## but a0 = 0 so it is now of the form ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1##

now for it to be an isomorphism I have to get this polynomial to turn into a vector of 4 elements by a transformation. How do I create that transformation?

trap101 said:
##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1 + a_0## but a0 = 0 so it is now of the form ##p(x) = a_4 x^4 + a_3 x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x^1##

now for it to be an isomorphism I have to get this polynomial to turn into a vector of 4 elements by a transformation. How do I create that transformation?

What are the first four derivatives of [itex]p(x)[/itex] at [itex]x = 0[/itex]?

pasmith said:
What are the first four derivatives of [itex]p(x)[/itex] at [itex]x = 0[/itex]?

hmmm... I suppose each one of those derivatives could be considered a component of the vector then. Interesting.

trap101 said:
Well, you have four coefficients, not counting the one that was forced to zero. The natural thing to try is to group those four coefficients into a vector, ##(a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4)## [or in whichever order you prefer]. Then check whether this is indeed an isomoprhism.

1. What are polynomials and isomorphism?

Polynomials are algebraic expressions that consist of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. Isomorphism, on the other hand, refers to a mathematical concept in which two mathematical structures have the same structure, even though they may differ in their individual elements.

2. What is the difference between a polynomial and a monomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that contains more than one term, while a monomial is an expression with only one term. In other words, a monomial is a type of polynomial with a single term.

3. How do you determine if two polynomials are isomorphic?

In order for two polynomials to be isomorphic, they must have the same number of terms, the same degree, and the same coefficients for each degree. This means that the structure of the polynomials must be identical, even if the variables and coefficients are different.

4. Can polynomials of different degrees be isomorphic?

No, polynomials of different degrees cannot be isomorphic. Isomorphism requires that the two polynomials have the same degree, meaning the same highest exponent of the variable.

5. What is an isomorphic polynomial ring?

An isomorphic polynomial ring is a mathematical structure in which two polynomial rings are isomorphic to each other. This means that the two rings have the same structure, even though they may have different elements.