Is there an acid that could dissolve Aluminium & leave Copper alone?

In summary, a chemical solution can be used to remove aluminum from a CPU heat sink while leaving copper alone. The process is not as trivial as one would hope, and care must be taken to prevent the reaction from becoming too fast.
BriggsMason
TL;DR Summary
Need to dissolve heat fins from a air cooler for a project, prefer the methy way vs the tooling
[Mentor Note: Two thread starts merged into one]

I need to remove the Aluminium heat fins from a CPU heat extange lined around some copper water heat pipes. I could use a saw, cnc or grinder to remove them, but it seems that this way could be cleaner, and less probable to ruin the heat pipes. I'm not too keen on what to use, but I have a lab to do this in, so feel free to throw any niche compounds my way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looking for a chemical that will dissolve / remove Aluminium while leaving copper alone. I need to remove aluminum from a CPU heat sink, but removing the metal fins with a power tool or CNC can be difficult whe I need to work around the heat pipes, I was hoping a chemical solution would be a cleaner, simpler option.

Attachments

• cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 78
Aluminum is higher on the galvanic series, so yes, you can do this electrochemically. Google “sacrificial anode” to get a feel for the chemistry at work. Basically, you would ensure the two metals are electrically connected (meaning current can freely flow from one metal to the other), and then you can put them in a corrosive environment and the aluminum will corrode before the copper. It’s not 100% simple, as you’ll need to monitor how quickly the aluminum is corroding so as not to degrade the copper too much, but in principle, yes it can be done and is done all the time on ship hulls.

Technically any non-oxidizing and not too concentrated acid should dissolve the aluminum leaving copper. That's just galvanic series at work.

Alternatively, aluminum will dissolve in a highly alkaline solution, copper shouldn't at all (assuming it is not an alloy with zinc - but then the acid solution will be as bad). I would probably try this route.

Neither operation is as trivial as one would want it to be, aluminum is always passivated by a layer of highly resistant oxides which makes it very slow to react. I would expect the basic route to be somewhat faster.

Likes Fra and Bystander
Easy to get chemicals that should work as per previous post is

1) Caustic soda (Sodium hydroxide), used for drain cleaning, you can often find in supermarkets, cheap as well
or
2) Hydrochloric acid, probably a little harder to buy these days, but paint shops may have it in europe at least

Hydrogen gas will be produced though so beware, if it heats up the reaction can become fast as well so beware of that as well if strong solutions are used. I tried it will Al foil and it can be really fast and heat up.

/Fredrik

I wonder if it was designed to use the different coefficients of thermal expansion where pure Al is 50% more than Cu but alloys may vary. Thus if the engagement compresses with heat rise, it may be easier to dismantle with a brick of dry ice at -40 using some form of fin separators or puller with a solvent in case of a thermal adhesive. We used to get a brick for $1 from any dairy mfg. Inflation might be $10 now.

Ultrasound in methanol.

1. What acid can dissolve aluminum but not affect copper?

Hydrochloric acid (HCl) can dissolve aluminum effectively without reacting significantly with copper. Aluminum reacts with hydrochloric acid to form aluminum chloride and hydrogen gas, while copper is largely unreactive to hydrochloric acid due to its position in the reactivity series.

2. Why does hydrochloric acid dissolve aluminum and not copper?

Aluminum is more reactive than copper and reacts with hydrochloric acid to form aluminum chloride (AlCl3) and hydrogen gas. Copper, being less reactive, does not react with dilute hydrochloric acid, as it is unable to displace hydrogen from the acid.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using hydrochloric acid to dissolve aluminum?

Yes, safety concerns include the production of hydrogen gas, which is highly flammable and can be explosive when mixed with air. Additionally, hydrochloric acid is a strong acid and can cause severe chemical burns upon contact with skin or eyes. Proper safety gear such as gloves, goggles, and protective clothing should be worn when handling hydrochloric acid.

4. Can this process be used to separate copper from aluminum in mixed materials?

Yes, this method can be used for separating copper from aluminum in mixed materials. By treating the mixture with hydrochloric acid, aluminum can be selectively dissolved leaving behind the copper. This is useful in recycling processes where different metals need to be separated.

5. What are the environmental impacts of using hydrochloric acid for dissolving metals?

The use of hydrochloric acid can lead to environmental concerns, particularly if the acid or metal chloride waste is not disposed of properly. It can cause soil and water pollution and harm aquatic and terrestrial life. Proper waste management techniques must be employed to mitigate these impacts.