Is there an age to begin a PhD?

• Thread starter Casco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Phd
In summary, there is no reason to feel pressure to finish your PhD before age 30 if you feel like you can handle it. There are plenty of successful PhDs being completed by people in their late 30s and early 40s.
Casco
For some circumstances in my life I was not able to give steady continuation to my studies, so now I want to do a PhD but I have seen that some people finish their PhD by the age of 26-28. I am 25 so my question is: Am I too old to start a PhD?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Man I can tell you that you are not too old to start your PhD. There are people in their late 30s and early 40s that plan on going for their PhD.

I started my PhD at 25 and it's worked out fine for me.

Of course, the coeds might not want to have anything to do with such an old man!

I am 28 and will be starting my phd this Fall. It doesn't bother me any.

I turned 27 (long ago) as I started my Ph.D.

I have a good friend who completed her Ph.D. (after travel, career changes, etc.) at 50 and is very glad she did. Not everyone can be a full professor at a prestigious university at 24 (only one living example I know of).[edit: found another: a living math professor who was appointed full professor at a prestigious university at 22.]

Last edited:
Thank you all for telling your experiences. This question came to me because I have seen the carreers of some remarkable physicists and for some reason I thought that maybe I am out of the age to begin a PhD in physics, but it is good to hear of all those good histories.

thank you.

Last edited:
This question comes up here quite frequently.

I've never really understood why. I get the idea that because there's so much pressure on students to perform, or to appear "advanced" in some way that this somehow translates into needing to follow a neatly linear academic trajectory towards a PhD, or that the only way one can make a meaningful scientific contribution is if one finishes a PhD before age 30.

But the reality is that everyone has his or her own unique set of circumstances to deal with. Sometimes you have to take a year off to work. Sometimes you get sick, or pregnant or have to become the primary caregiver in your family. Some people don't even realize they enjoy a subject until they're a little more mature.

Life is all about decisions then.

Likes 1 person
Choppy said:
This question comes up here quite frequently.

I've never really understood why. I get the idea that because there's so much pressure on students to perform, or to appear "advanced" in some way that this somehow translates into needing to follow a neatly linear academic trajectory towards a PhD, or that the only way one can make a meaningful scientific contribution is if one finishes a PhD before age 30.

But the reality is that everyone has his or her own unique set of circumstances to deal with. Sometimes you have to take a year off to work. Sometimes you get sick, or pregnant or have to become the primary caregiver in your family. Some people don't even realize they enjoy a subject until they're a little more mature.

Life is all about decisions then.

Yeah. sometimes I feel so much pressure given that sometimes I have a guy 4 or even 5 years younger than me on the same level. So that makes you feel that you are getting older. But I guess that you are right, not everyone has the same oportunnities to keep studying without stopping. Does anyone knows if the comitees that receive the applications take the age of the applicant as an important factor to take into account?

Related to Is there an age to begin a PhD?

1. What is the minimum age requirement to begin a PhD program?

The minimum age requirement to begin a PhD program varies depending on the university and program. In most cases, a student must have completed a bachelor's degree and be at least 21 years old. However, some programs may allow students to begin at a younger age if they have completed a master's degree or have significant research experience.

2. Is there a maximum age limit for starting a PhD?

There is no universal maximum age limit for starting a PhD program. However, some universities may have their own age requirements for admission. Additionally, it is important to consider the length of time it takes to complete a PhD program and whether or not it aligns with your personal and career goals.

3. Can I start a PhD later in life after working in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to start a PhD program later in life after working in a different field. Many universities value diverse backgrounds and experiences, and your previous work experience may even be beneficial to your research. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and financial commitment of a PhD program before making the decision to switch fields.

4. Is it better to start a PhD program right after completing a bachelor's degree?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question as it ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. Some students may benefit from taking time off between degrees to gain work experience or explore other interests. Others may prefer to continue their education without a break. It is important to carefully consider your priorities and make a decision that aligns with your long-term goals.

5. Can I begin a PhD program without a master's degree?

In most cases, a master's degree is not required to begin a PhD program. However, some universities may prefer or require applicants to have a master's degree in a related field. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if a master's degree is necessary for admission.