Is there an alternate symbol for mu for x 10^-6 ?

• Thread starter Nway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the conversation was about the importance of communication in relationships. The participants discussed how effective communication can lead to a stronger and healthier relationship, while lack of communication can result in misunderstandings and conflicts. They also highlighted the importance of listening and being open to each other's perspectives. Overall, the conversation emphasized the role of communication in building and maintaining successful relationships.
Nway
Homework Statement
I am confused about a notation highlighted shown below
Relevant Equations
C = Q/V
1674877010845.png

Can someone tell me what that means? I'm think it should be a mu.

Physics news on Phys.org
The highlighted symbol means "proportional to". You are correct in thinking it should be ##\mu##. Some typesetter must have screwed up.

Likes DrClaude, Astronuc and Nway
If TeX is not available and Greek letters are difficult to type people sometimes use "u" instead (uF = ##\mathrm{\mu F}##). The "proportional to" (\propto, ##\propto##) is just the wrong symbol.

Likes Nway

1. What is the alternate symbol for mu for x 10^-6?

The alternate symbol for mu for x 10^-6 is "µ".

2. Why is there an alternate symbol for mu for x 10^-6?

The alternate symbol "µ" is used because the standard symbol "μ" may be confused with the letter "m" or the prefix "micro-".

3. Is the alternate symbol for mu for x 10^-6 widely accepted?

Yes, the alternate symbol "µ" is widely accepted and used in scientific and technical fields.

4. Are there any other alternate symbols for mu for x 10^-6?

Yes, there are other alternate symbols such as "u" and "mc" that are sometimes used instead of "µ". However, "µ" is the most commonly used alternate symbol.

5. How do I type the alternate symbol for mu for x 10^-6 on my keyboard?

You can type the alternate symbol "µ" by holding down the "Alt" key and typing "230" on the numeric keypad. Alternatively, you can copy and paste the symbol from a character map or special character menu.