Is there any evidence to suggest that there is no limit to technology?

In summary, the conversation is about the fear of running out of ideas in the field of futurism, specifically novums. The speaker is looking for proof that there is an unlimited amount of ideas that humans can come up with and is seeking a reliable source to convince them that technological progress and ideas are limitless. The response is that while science may have limits, human creativity does not, and there will always be more potential novums than one can keep track of.
Maximum7
I am currently obsessed with futurism but I am terrified I will run out of novums to contemplate about. A novum is an idea like “FTL travel” or “Gene splicing”. I was wondering if their is any proof that their is an unlimited amount of ideas that humans can come up with. My uncle was reading Bernard Stiegler before he died and Stiegler said that technology is a law of nature and it is always progressing. I didn’t 100% buy that and I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a source that could help convince me that technological progress and ideas are unlimited.

Please provide a reliable source if you can find one.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Science and technology are not the same, and science is the one with the limits. Scientific limits can apply to technology, but their applicability is negotiable and varies. There is no limit to human creativity, so there is no ultimate limit to technological progress. The limits provided by science are specific means and methods.

Likes Fervent Freyja
You only need to demonstrate that there are more potential novums than any reader can keep track of.

Likes russ_watters

1. Is it possible for technology to continue advancing indefinitely?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. While some experts believe that there may be a limit to technological advancements, others argue that as long as there are new discoveries and innovations, technology will continue to advance.

2. What evidence supports the idea that there is no limit to technology?

One piece of evidence is the exponential growth of technology over the past few decades. Every year, we see new advancements and improvements that were previously thought to be impossible. This suggests that there may be no limit to what we can achieve with technology.

3. Are there any historical examples of technology surpassing previous limitations?

Yes, there are many examples of technology surpassing previous limitations. For instance, the development of the internet and smartphones has revolutionized communication and access to information, breaking down barriers that were once thought to be insurmountable.

4. Could societal or environmental factors hinder technological progress?

It is possible that societal and environmental factors could impact technological progress. For example, limited resources or conflicts may slow down the development of certain technologies. However, history has shown that humans are resilient and resourceful, and have found ways to overcome obstacles in the past.

5. How can we ensure that technology continues to advance without causing harm?

This is a complex question with no easy answer. However, many scientists and engineers are actively working to develop ethical guidelines and regulations to ensure that new technologies are used responsibly and do not cause harm. It is also important for society to have open and ongoing discussions about the potential risks and benefits of new technologies.