Is there any mechanism possible for the Big Brake?

Trollfaz
https://arxiv.org/abs/0705.1688
https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2014IJMPD..2350054P/abstract
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/time-s-end-will-be-the-end-of-endings/
According to these references they suggest that dark energy can suddenly change sign and causing the universe expansion to stop and turn static immediately, resulting in extreme(infinite) deceleration.
Is this just a speculation if how dark energy evolves in the future. As far as I know we have no idea how dark energy behaves in the far future that's why scientist come up with a lot of theories.

Space news on Phys.org
Trollfaz said:
According to these references they suggest that dark energy can suddenly change sign
I don't think this is a good description. I realize it appears in the Scientific American article, but that's a pop science article and should not be taken as an accurate description of the actual physics.

The first paper you reference describes the "big brake" equation of state as ##p = A / \rho##, which is nothing at all like dark energy (dark energy is ##p = - \rho##). It is also nothing like matter or radiation, and in fact is nothing like anything we have ever observed. The paper makes no claim whatever about what would bring about such an equation of state, or whether it is even physically reasonable (my answer to that would be "no").

Trollfaz said:
Is this just a speculation if how dark energy evolves in the future.
It's certainly a speculation, and one without any foundation in what we currently know, as far as I can see; it's just an abstract investigation into the implications of a particular mathematical model. But, as above, it has nothing to do with dark energy.

Trollfaz said:
As far as I know we have no idea how dark energy behaves in the far future
If you want to discard everything we currently know about physics and say that anything goes, then of course we have no idea about how anything behaves in the far future. But that does not strike me as a fruitful way to proceed.

Trollfaz said:
that's why scientist come up with a lot of theories.
Scientists come up with a lot of speculations because (a) it's fun, and (b) it helps to generate more published papers. The vast majority of these speculations never result in anything relevant to our actual universe.

Note also that the point of the first paper is to show that quantum effects prevent the classical "big brake" scenario from actually happening.

• Informative
Likes phinds
PeterDonis said:
I don't think this is a good description. I realize it appears in the Scientific American article,
Yes the Scientific American article does in fact make a lot of unverifiable claims like the big lurch in the picture which has no supporting reference as well as the claim that phantom energy freezes everything in place.

An interesting aside to the question: what if space did stop expanding suddenly? What would be the effect on visible objects like galaxies and black holes?

James William Hall said:
An interesting aside to the question: what if space did stop expanding suddenly? What would be the effect on visible objects like galaxies and black holes?
You'd have to provide a mechanism by which it could "suddenly stop". Since we aren't aware of one, we can't really answer the question.

Honestly, in this context "space expanding" is not the best description of what's going on, although there are good reasons why people use it. The simplest way to put it is that galaxies move apart for the same reason a pool ball keeps rolling: inertia. It's complicated by the curvature of spacetime, which is where the "expanding space" explanation comes in, but at the root of it if you want to stop "space expanding" you just need to stop all the galaxies. We don't know a mechanism that can do that - hence my first paragraph.

Last edited:
Likes PeterDonis

What is the Big Brake cosmological model?

The Big Brake cosmological model is a theoretical scenario in the universe's expansion where the expansion slows down abruptly and comes to a halt. This concept is derived from certain modifications to the standard model of cosmology, particularly involving exotic forms of dark energy or modifications to general relativity.

How does the Big Brake differ from the Big Crunch?

While both the Big Brake and Big Crunch involve a significant change in the expansion of the universe, they are fundamentally different. The Big Crunch predicts a complete reversal of expansion, leading to a collapse of the universe back to a singularity. In contrast, the Big Brake suggests a scenario where the expansion rate slows to zero without reversing, potentially leading to a static universe.

What causes the Big Brake in theoretical models?

The Big Brake could be caused by a particular type of dark energy with unusual properties, such as a phantom energy component whose equation of state parameter (w) becomes less than -1. This parameter affects the rate of expansion and, under certain conditions, could lead to the abrupt halting of it.

Is there any observational evidence supporting the Big Brake scenario?

As of now, there is no direct observational evidence to support the Big Brake scenario. Observations of the cosmic microwave background, galaxy distribution, and supernovae suggest that the universe's expansion is accelerating, which is consistent with a dark energy model but not specifically indicative of a Big Brake scenario.

What are the implications of a Big Brake event for the future of the universe?

If a Big Brake event were to occur, it would have profound implications for the future of the universe. The abrupt halt in expansion could lead to a stable, static universe, but the dynamics and stability of such a universe are still subjects of theoretical research. It would challenge our current understanding of cosmology and potentially lead to new physics or modifications of existing theories.