Is there any screen of cellphone equipped with DLC coating?

In summary: I'll start from scratch.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DLC-coating, a highly transparent, anti-reflective, and anti-scratch coating, for cellphone screens. While it is being used in other scenarios, such as in solar cells, it is not commonly used in the display industry for smartphones. It is suggested that the reason for this may be its price or availability, as the smartphone screen industry is constantly evolving and adopting new technologies. A comparison is made to the use of sapphire glass, which is tougher than Gorilla Glass but was not utilized by Apple in the iPhone 6 due to availability issues. It is also mentioned that Corning, a leading manufacturer of smartphone display glass, has developed non-
genxium
It's kind of strange to me that when reading topics like "components of cellphone screen", people often mention an outermost anti-reflecting coating which takes advantage of destructive interference.

There're few mentions for using DLC-coating as a cellphone screen outermost coating but there're indeed many researchers using DLC-coatings which are highly transparent, anti-reflective and anti-scratch for other scenarios, e.g. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262990647_Fabrication_of_Highly_Transparent_Diamond-like_Carbon_Anti-Reflecting_Coating_for_Si_Solar_Cell_Application . However the properties just mentioned seem perfect to be used for cellphone screens and I haven't yet found prominent usage of DLC-coating for cellphones especially for the touch-screens.

Is DLC-coating popular in display industry? If not what makes it not popular given all those good properties?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
genxium said:
It's kind of strange to me that when reading topics like "components of cellphone screen", people often mention an outermost anti-reflecting coating which takes advantage of destructive interference.

There're few mentions for using DLC-coating as a cellphone screen outermost coating but there're indeed many researchers using DLC-coatings which are highly transparent, anti-reflective and anti-scratch for other scenarios, e.g. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262990647_Fabrication_of_Highly_Transparent_Diamond-like_Carbon_Anti-Reflecting_Coating_for_Si_Solar_Cell_Application . However the properties just mentioned seem perfect to be used for cellphone screens and I haven't yet found prominent usage of DLC-coating for cellphones especially for the touch-screens.

Is DLC-coating popular in display industry? If not what makes it not popular given all those good properties?

I searched it in google and it seems it is being used in the "space black stainless steel Apple Watch" coating. I couldn't find a single clue DLC being used in a smartphone. There wasn't a single post about it in Phonearena, so I can say it is certain that they aren't being used.

Although I have little knowledge about DLC, I think the reason might be it's price or availability. Smartphone screen industry is growing fast, and new technologies pop up, and they are getting cheaper and thougher at the same time. Do you know about the sapphire glass? Although it is tougher than the Gorilla Glass, Apple diddn't use sapphire glass on iPhone 6, because there weren't enough of them available, and they would need to ship some iPhones without sapphire glass in some countries.

It's a little bit old, but you might want to look at this: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Futu...ctive-antimicrobial-made-with-Corning_id44786

Note: While writing this, my browser shut down without saving what I wrote. :H

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is DLC coating and what are its benefits for cellphone screens?

DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating is a thin layer of carbon that is applied to the surface of a material to enhance its properties. For cellphone screens, DLC coating can provide scratch resistance, improved durability, and better anti-reflective properties.

2. Is DLC coating available on all cellphone screens?

No, not all cellphone screens come equipped with DLC coating. It is typically found on higher-end models or can be added as an additional feature for an extra cost.

3. How does DLC coating compare to other types of screen protection?

DLC coating is considered to be one of the most durable forms of screen protection. It is harder and more scratch-resistant than traditional glass screens or plastic screen protectors.

4. Can DLC coating be applied after purchasing a cellphone?

Unfortunately, DLC coating cannot be applied after purchasing a cellphone. It is a specialized process that must be done during the manufacturing of the screen.

5. Does DLC coating affect the touchscreen sensitivity of a cellphone?

In most cases, DLC coating does not affect the touchscreen sensitivity of a cellphone. However, it is always recommended to check with the manufacturer or read reviews before purchasing a specific model.