Is there someone help me about thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the formula of thermodynamics in an adiabatic process and how to determine the final volume of air after compression. The formula PV^gamma = const is mentioned and it is explained that gamma is the ratio of heat capacities for dry air at room temperature, which is typically 1.4. It is suggested to memorize this value for future use in various situations, such as otto cycles.
opeth_35
ı don't understand how i am going to use the formula of thermodynamics in adiabatic. actually there are a lots of constant in adiabatic..

the question is :
In the course of pumping up a bicycle tire, a liter of air at atmospheric pressure is compressed adiabatically to a pressure of 7 atm. (Air is mostly diatomic nitrogen and oxygen.)
(a)
What is the final volume of this air after compression?
PV^gamma = const i am trying but i cat..
thaks for helping me about that now

Physics news on Phys.org
opeth_35 said:
ı don't understand how i am going to use the formula of thermodynamics in adiabatic. actually there are a lots of constant in adiabatic..

the question is :
In the course of pumping up a bicycle tire, a liter of air at atmospheric pressure is compressed adiabatically to a pressure of 7 atm. (Air is mostly diatomic nitrogen and oxygen.)
(a)
What is the final volume of this air after compression?
PV^gamma = const i am trying but i cat..
thaks for helping me about that now
what is [itex]\gamma[/itex]?
You know the initial P and the initial V, so what is [itex]PV^{\gamma}[/itex]?
You know that this value is equal to [itex]P_{final}V_{final}^{\gamma}[/itex]. So you now have one equation and one unknown, so you can solve that.

AM

gamma is the ratio of heat capacities, Cp/Cv
For dry air at room temperature gamma is 1.4.
It's good to memorize this because it is seen in numerous cituations, such as otto cycles.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, particularly in relation to heat and work.

2. Why is thermodynamics important?

Thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand how energy works and how it can be utilized in various processes. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is present in many aspects of our daily lives, from the functioning of car engines to the cooking of food. It helps us understand the behavior of systems and how energy is transferred and converted in these systems.

4. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the law of conservation of energy, the increase of entropy, and the impossibility of reaching absolute zero temperature.

5. How can I apply thermodynamics in my research or work?

Depending on your field, there are many ways to apply thermodynamics. For example, if you are an engineer, you can use thermodynamics principles to design more efficient systems. If you are a chemist, you can use it to study chemical reactions. If you are a biologist, you can use it to understand how living organisms use energy. Understanding thermodynamics can also help you make more informed decisions in daily life, such as choosing energy-efficient appliances or understanding the environmental impact of certain processes.