Is thinking about "possession" of electrons a bad habit for dealing with formal charges?

In summary, the speakers discussed the use of formal charge in arrow-pushing mechanisms and how it relates to the concept of ownership of electrons. They also considered how this approach may not be applicable in all cases, such as with covalent bonding and organometallic complexes. Instead, they suggest viewing it as a helpful trick rather than a strict rule. Additionally, the mention of Bader's "atoms in molecules" method was made as an alternative approach.
etotheipi
This isn't a specific question, but more a case of trying to mitigate any potential confusion which might arise in the future. When drawing out curly arrows for mechanisms, and the like, I'm used to thinking about which electrons "belong" to certain atoms (in a book-keeping sense) in order to work out the changes in formal charge. If a nucleophile went to form a bond with another atom, I'd think of something along the lines of "the nucleophile transfers possession of one of its own electrons to the other atom", and this would result in the formal charge of the nucleophile increasing by one, etc.

I was wondering whether this sort of interpretation/internal thought process is common? Of course, we'd need to be slightly careful to clarify exactly what we mean by the electrons an atom "owns", since we might determine this by splitting all of the bonds evenly (i.e. formal charges) or by awarding the electrons to the more electronegative atom (i.e. oxidation numbers).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
While that picture may "work" for ionic bonding, how do you picture a covalent bonding, for example, where two atoms "share" that same electron?

It may be fine if you recognize this as simply a matter of "bookeeping". It is another story if you extrapolate this to be physically realistic.

Zz.

Likes etotheipi
ZapperZ said:
While that picture may "work" for ionic bonding, how do you picture a covalent bonding, for example, where two atoms "share" that same electron?

It may be fine if you recognize this as simply a matter of "bookeeping". It is another story if you extrapolate this to be physically realistic.

Zz.

In the case of the nucleophile forming a covalent bond, to be accurate we would, like you say, need to picture the electrons as shared.

However, if we talk in terms of formal charges, before the bond formation both of the electrons in the lone pair contributed to the formal charge of the nucleophile. After the bond formation, one electron now counts toward the formal charge of the recipient atom. In a loose, formal charge, sense, the recipient atom has “gained” possession of it.

Though I think I understand what you are getting at; perhaps it would be better in the long run (and for rigour’s sake) to ditch the notion of ownership!

This approach works for Lewis acid/base-type situations (including nucleophilic addition), but there are plenty of arrow-pushing mechanisms that involve completely nonpolar covalent bonds exclusively (Diels-Alder comes to mind).

Edit: things get even more complicated with organometallic complexes, where for instance the electron-rich pi system of an alkene is a decent Lewis base. Then even nucleophilic addition (e.g., of ethylene to platinum) can’t be treated in terms of formal charges on individual atoms.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
TeethWhitener said:
This approach works for Lewis acid/base-type situations (including nucleophilic addition), but there are plenty of arrow-pushing mechanisms that involve completely nonpolar covalent bonds exclusively (Diels-Alder comes to mind).

Edit: things get even more complicated with organometallic complexes, where for instance the electron-rich pi system of an alkene is a decent Lewis base. Then even nucleophilic addition (e.g., of ethylene to platinum) can’t be treated in terms of formal charges on individual atoms.

Thank you, this is really helpful! On the basis of your and ZapperZ's response, I'll try to think of this method then as more of a "trick" that is applicable in some cases rather than a formal (no pun intended) rule...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you may enjoy to read about Bader's "atoms in molecules" method.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the concept of "possession" of electrons in relation to formal charges?

The concept of "possession" of electrons refers to the idea that a particular atom in a molecule "owns" or "controls" a pair of electrons. This is often used to explain formal charges, which are a way of representing the distribution of electrons in a molecule.

2. Is thinking about "possession" of electrons a scientifically accurate way to understand formal charges?

No, thinking about "possession" of electrons is not a scientifically accurate way to understand formal charges. Formal charges are a theoretical concept used to represent the distribution of electrons in a molecule, and do not imply actual ownership or control of electrons by a specific atom.

3. Why is thinking about "possession" of electrons a bad habit for dealing with formal charges?

Thinking about "possession" of electrons can be a bad habit for dealing with formal charges because it can lead to misconceptions about the true nature of formal charges. It can also limit our understanding of the complex interactions between electrons in a molecule.

4. What is a more accurate way to understand formal charges?

A more accurate way to understand formal charges is to think of them as a way to represent the distribution of electrons in a molecule, rather than implying actual ownership or control of electrons by a specific atom. It is important to remember that formal charges are a theoretical concept and do not reflect the true behavior of electrons in a molecule.

5. How can I improve my understanding of formal charges?

To improve your understanding of formal charges, it is important to focus on the underlying principles and concepts rather than relying on simplified explanations such as "possession" of electrons. This can be achieved through further study and practice, as well as seeking guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or mentor.