Is this a conflict of interest? (reviewing an article)

In summary, the author of the paper has cited the author of the paper, which is not a big deal. The author also gives a solution to a problem that the author of the paper has been struggling with. So, personally, the author would benefit from the paper being published. However, it is possible that a conflict of interest could arise if the author of the paper sides with the previous reviewer who said "no" to the paper. The author suggests informing the editor of their interest in the publication of the paper.
andresB
A journal sent me an email asking me to be an adjudicator for one article since the two reviewers disagreed on their recommendations. I accepted based on the abstract. When reading the paper I found that

(a) The author is citing me, not a big deal I guess.

but

(b) The author gives a solution to a problem I've been struggling with for one of my own works. So, personally, I would benefit from this paper being published since I can then cite it in my own work. Is this a conflict of interest that I should inform the editors of the journal?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have to ask, the answer is "yes".

Likes mathwonk, berkeman and Bystander
While Vanadium's response is a good heuristic, I'm not sure it should apply to this situation. First, see if the journal has any stated policies and follow those. Aside from that, it seems like the two facts given would correlate with the criteria editors are following when they are looking for reviewers---someone in the field (citing the prospective reviewer) who will know if the work is impactful (being cited by the prospective reviewer). I have to say that the incentives here don't seem malignant. It is in your interest that the work was done correctly since you want to use it in support of your own. In the end, follow the journal's policies, and if they have none, then your own conscience. You could always note to the editor your concerns before/when you submit your review and vote for/against publication.

andresB said:
(b) The author gives a solution to a problem I've been struggling with for one of my own works. So, personally, I would benefit from this paper being published since I can then cite it in my own work. Is this a conflict of interest that I should inform the editors of the journal?
So it sounds like you may not be able to be completely objective in your review of the paper. What if you side with the previous reviewer who said "no" to the paper? And if you do that, can you still gain insights that might help you in your own work?

It seems straightforward to inform the editors and see if they are still okay with you being the 3rd reviewer.

Likes symbolipoint
If I had doubts on impartiality I would ask the editor. If I were an editor, I would definitely not consider (a) a conflict of interest (that would disqualify most actually competent referees working in my field). When it comes to (b) you have an interest in the paper being published if correct. You will probably also obtain the previous referee reports and have the opportunity to consider the points for and against publication raised in each.

i support informing the editor of your interest in the publication of this result, and would suggest that fact is itself an argument in favor of the importance and interest of the result. but informing the editor cannot be wrong, and not doing so seems wrong to me.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is a conflict of interest?

A conflict of interest occurs when an individual or organization has competing interests that could potentially bias their decision-making or actions. In the context of reviewing an article, it refers to a situation where the reviewer has personal or professional connections to the author or the research being presented that could influence their evaluation of the article.

2. Why is it important to identify and address conflicts of interest in article reviews?

Identifying and addressing conflicts of interest is crucial in maintaining the integrity and credibility of the scientific community. It ensures that articles are evaluated objectively and based on their merit, rather than personal biases or relationships. It also helps prevent potential ethical issues and ensures transparency in the review process.

3. What are some examples of conflicts of interest in article reviews?

Examples of conflicts of interest in article reviews include being a co-author or collaborator on the research being presented, having a financial or personal relationship with the author, or having a competing research or business interest in the topic being discussed.

4. How can conflicts of interest be disclosed and managed in article reviews?

Conflicts of interest can be disclosed by the reviewer in the form of a declaration statement or by the journal during the review process. To manage conflicts of interest, the reviewer may recuse themselves from reviewing the article or disclose their potential biases and provide an unbiased evaluation. The journal may also assign a different reviewer or have a committee oversee the review process.

5. What are the consequences of not addressing conflicts of interest in article reviews?

Failing to address conflicts of interest in article reviews can have serious consequences, including compromising the validity and reliability of the research being presented, damaging the reputation of the author and the journal, and potentially leading to retraction of the article. It can also harm the overall trust and credibility of the scientific community.