Is this a good exclusion criteria or not?

• Thread starter yog55677
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Criteria
In summary, the study on cell phone use and infertility suffers from potential bias and flaws in its exclusion criteria, which makes it difficult to draw definitive conclusions about the link between cell phone use and fertility. A randomized controlled trial would be needed to accurately determine any potential connection.
yog55677
TL;DR Summary
I read a study with limited exclusion criteria, but does it do its job correctly?
I read a study that linked cell phone use to infertility. They monitored 2,110 men from 1993-2007. However, they picked all of their subjects from an infertility clinic, therefore their subjects were already experiencing fertility issues. They tried to correct for this bias by having these exclusion criteria:

Although smoking or alcohol consumption as well as systemic diseases, orchitis or varicocele were exclusion criteria, no other confounders were investigated

Is this a good exclusion critera, or is the study still flawed because they haven't excluded all possible factors that make someone infertile? (It sounds like they didn't measure key things, like BMI, stress, bathing habits, etc.)

Biology news on Phys.org
Just a minor point. Criteria is the plural; criterion is the singular.

yog55677 said:
Summary:: I read a study with limited exclusion criteria, but does it do its job correctly?

I read a study that linked cell phone use to infertility. They monitored 2,110 men from 1993-2007. However, they picked all of their subjects from an infertility clinic, therefore their subjects were already experiencing fertility issues. They tried to correct for this bias by having these exclusion criteria:
Is this a good exclusion critera, or is the study still flawed because they haven't excluded all possible factors that make someone infertile? (It sounds like they didn't measure key things, like BMI, stress, bathing habits, etc.)

No. Ultimately, the study suffers from the same biases as other observational studies. The study compares people who use cell phones vs people who don't use cell phones. There are many differences between these groups, so if the study found any differences between the groups, the study is not able to attribute that difference to cell phone use. Yes, the study can attempt to control for some differences, but as you note, it is nearly impossible to control for all factors. The study can show correlation between cell phone use and fertility, but it cannot definitiely prove any link. To get more definitive evidence of a link, one would need to perform a randomized controlled trial which would help to ensure that the only difference between the two groups studied is cell phone use, and not some other confounding factor.

Likes yog55677 and jim mcnamara
Ygggdrasil said:
No. Ultimately, the study suffers from the same biases as other observational studies. The study compares people who use cell phones vs people who don't use cell phones. There are many differences between these groups, so if the study found any differences between the groups, the study is not able to attribute that difference to cell phone use. Yes, the study can attempt to control for some differences, but as you note, it is nearly impossible to control for all factors. The study can show correlation between cell phone use and fertility, but it cannot definitiely prove any link. To get more definitive evidence of a link, one would need to perform a randomized controlled trial which would help to ensure that the only difference between the two groups studied is cell phone use, and not some other confounding factor.
Thanks! I just realized that they found no link between phone use and sperm count, but rather a link between phone use and a rise in certain hormones (Testosterone, etc.) that can harm fertility and sperm morphology was worse among cell phone users. But I guess the bias of all of their subjects being from a fertility clinic (As all subjects will have had to experience some form of fertility problem to attend a clinic, therefore they all already have bad fertility) and the bad exclusion criteria means no conclusions should be made, am I right?

Since the OP has left us, this thread can be closed now.

1. What makes a good exclusion criteria?

A good exclusion criteria is one that is clearly defined and relevant to the research question. It should also be objective, measurable, and consistently applied to all participants in the study.

2. How do I determine if an exclusion criteria is appropriate for my study?

The appropriateness of an exclusion criteria depends on the specific research question and study design. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact of the exclusion criteria on the study results and ensure it aligns with the research objectives.

3. Can exclusion criteria be changed or modified during the study?

In general, exclusion criteria should be established before the study begins and should not be changed or modified during the study. However, if there is a valid reason to do so, any changes should be clearly documented and justified.

4. Is it necessary to have multiple exclusion criteria?

Having multiple exclusion criteria is not necessary, but it can be beneficial in certain cases. It allows for a more thorough evaluation of potential confounding factors and can increase the validity and generalizability of the study results.

5. How do I ensure that my exclusion criteria does not introduce bias into the study?

To ensure that exclusion criteria does not introduce bias into the study, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact of the criteria on the study population and results. It may also be helpful to have multiple researchers review and approve the exclusion criteria to minimize any potential bias.