Is this a good forum for requesting feedback on an essay?

• Thread starter AtomicDog
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on where to post and how to share a short essay for a contest. They mention receiving helpful feedback on Reddit and ask about posting the entire essay in LaTeX format. The conversation ends with the Mentor stating that the essay is not suitable for posting on the forum and the thread remaining locked.
AtomicDog
I have a relatively short essay (4 pages) that will be submitted to the Gravity Research Foundation's 2022 essay contest, and I'd like to field criticisms. I've posted on Reddit and received helpful feedback, but I thought this forum might provide a more focused discussion. I don't want to break any rules, of course, so I'm wondering which, if any, subforum would be appropriate for this?

Also, the entire essay is in LaTeX; if I can post, should I just link it or copy it over in its entirety as a submission?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, that's not usually allowed (especially for a 1-post newbie), but let me check with the other Mentors. I'll lock this thread temporarily...

Welcome to PF, BTW. :smile:

AtomicDog said:
Also, the entire essay is in LaTeX; if I can post, should I just link it or copy it over in its entirety as a submission?
In the mean time, can you please send it to me as a Private Message (PM)? Just click on my avatar and "Start a conversation". Thanks.

The Mentor review of the paper is complete, and it is not suitable for posting here. This thread will stay locked.

Likes Astronuc, anorlunda, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

1. What type of feedback can I expect to receive on this forum?

The type of feedback you receive on this forum will vary depending on the members who respond to your request. However, you can typically expect to receive constructive criticism, suggestions for improvement, and praise for areas that are well-written.

2. How long does it typically take to receive feedback on an essay?

The amount of time it takes to receive feedback on an essay can vary. It depends on the activity level of the forum and the length of your essay. It is recommended to give members at least a few days to respond before considering your request unanswered.

3. Are there any specific guidelines for requesting feedback on an essay?

Yes, it is important to provide a clear and concise title for your post that accurately reflects the topic of your essay. Additionally, be sure to include the full essay or a link to it in your post. It is also helpful to provide specific areas or questions you would like feedback on.

4. Can I request feedback on multiple essays at once?

It is generally not recommended to request feedback on multiple essays at once. This can overwhelm members and may result in less comprehensive feedback. It is better to focus on one essay at a time to ensure you receive thorough feedback.

5. Is it appropriate to request feedback on a final draft of my essay?

Yes, it is appropriate to request feedback on a final draft of your essay. However, keep in mind that the purpose of feedback is to improve your writing, so it may be more beneficial to request feedback on an earlier draft to make necessary changes before submitting your final version.