IB Extended Essay: Finding an Interesting Topic

In summary, the student is struggling to find a suitable topic for their IB Physics research paper. They are looking for a topic that is not too advanced and aligns with the IB's requirement of being a somewhat original topic that has not been extensively studied. They are seeking suggestions and ideas for common scenarios or situations that can be analyzed using basic physics principles. The student is also considering consulting with their teacher and peers for feedback and advice.
theJorge551
This isn't a typical homework/coursework question, but I didn't really see where else to put it.

I'm currently enrolled in IB (International Baccalaureate) Physics Higher Level, and have to do a research paper spanning from now until I have to submit it in next February or March, I believe. It has a maximum of 4,000 words, and must be in a format of "analyzing the effects of ___ on ____" or something to that effect. According to the IB, it must be a somewhat original topic that hasn't had much limelight, experimentally (for example, factors that effect the shape and dimensions of impact craters in sand). Also, the IB condemns the writing of theoretical papers, or papers based mainly on mathematical physics (claiming that it's "too advanced for the course the student is taking". Pshhh.). The graders of these particular essays are unbelievably nit-picky, and the highest anyone's ever gotten on this type of essay from my school is a B-. I hope to turn that around, but only if I find a topic that I'm interested in. :/

It's essentially supposed to be an experimental paper, but focused on a topic that isn't out of the realm of advanced high school physics, and something that might be familiar in everyday life (the kitchen, local environments, in basic appliances, etc). This is a hurdle for me, because really the only branches of physics that truly capture my interest are mathematical & theoretical physics -- basic thermodynamics, kinematics, electrostatics...it's mundane, but I'm putting up with it now to get to the interesting stuff later on. I'm finding it very difficult to come up with a topic that is suitable for the IB's requirements, and that doesn't involve too much theory, so I'm curious -- is there anyone here with any ideas as to what common scenarios I could analyze in a traditional "change ___ to see a change in ___" fashion? Anything I've come up with thus far has either been "too advanced" for what my teacher thinks would earn me a good grade, or simply uninteresting for me -- and I have to stay with it for an entire year, without complaining.

By the way, I have to decide by Friday; I've tried coming up with ideas for a very long time...it's somewhat urgent! :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

I understand your struggle in finding a suitable topic for your IB Physics research paper. I would suggest approaching this task by first identifying a specific area of interest within physics that you find fascinating. This could be anything from mechanics to electromagnetism to thermodynamics.

Once you have identified your area of interest, try brainstorming real-life scenarios or situations where the principles of that branch of physics are at play. For example, if you are interested in thermodynamics, you could look at the efficiency of household appliances or the effects of temperature on different materials.

You can also consider looking at current research topics in physics and see if there are any ongoing studies that align with your interests. This could provide you with a unique and original topic that has not yet been extensively studied.

Additionally, you can consult with your physics teacher or other students to bounce off ideas and get feedback on the feasibility and originality of your chosen topic. They may also be able to suggest potential experiments or data collection methods that could make your paper stand out.

Remember, the key is to find a topic that you are genuinely interested in and that aligns with the IB's requirements. With proper planning and research, I am sure you will be able to come up with a compelling and original topic for your paper. Best of luck!

What is an IB Extended Essay?

An IB Extended Essay is an independent research project completed by students in the International Baccalaureate program. It is a mandatory component of the program and allows students to explore a topic of their interest in depth.

How do I choose an interesting topic for my IB Extended Essay?

Choosing a topic for your IB Extended Essay can be challenging. Start by brainstorming ideas and narrowing down your interests. Consider a topic that you are passionate about and that will allow you to conduct thorough research. It is also important to choose a topic that is feasible and can be completed within the given timeframe.

Can I change my IB Extended Essay topic once it has been approved?

Yes, you can change your IB Extended Essay topic once it has been approved by your supervisor. However, it is important to consider the time and effort that has already been invested in your initial topic and ensure that the new topic is feasible and can be completed within the given timeframe.

What makes a good IB Extended Essay topic?

A good IB Extended Essay topic is one that is specific, manageable, and researchable. It should also be relevant to your chosen subject and allow for in-depth analysis and evaluation. Additionally, a good topic should be interesting and engaging for both the student and the reader.

Are there any resources available to help me find an interesting topic for my IB Extended Essay?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you find an interesting topic for your IB Extended Essay. Your teacher or supervisor can provide guidance and suggestions, and there are also online databases and websites that offer lists of potential topics. Additionally, you can consult with subject-specific experts or visit libraries or museums for inspiration.